The Dean of Students is available to all students to address personal, academic and professional issues that develop during their law school career. Students are encouraged to reach out with any concerns.
Janet Stearns, Dean of Students and Lecturer in Law
Location: Suite A-212 (2nd floor behind the fountain)
Some examples of areas where the Dean of Students may be a resource:
- Oversees all extracurricular activities at the law school including more than 50 student organizations;(For student leaders who have questions on procedures and policies, please visit the Student Leader Information Center.) Or contact directly Gloria Garcia: email@example.com Coordinator of Student Organizations and Law Reviews
- Serves as advisor to the Student Bar Association, the Inter-Club Council and the Law Activity Fee Allocation Committee
- Promotes Wellness Initiatives including the fall Wellness Week and other programs to support a healthy, balanced approach to law school;
- Addresses student disciplinary matters under the Honor Code and coordinates closely with Miami Law's Honor Council;
- Monitors absences via the online absence notification form and reports these to faculty;
- Responds to medical and personal issues that arise during law school, especially during the examination periods; see Student Health and Safety Policy;
- Serves as a point person for active and former military service members and their families.
- Promotes diversity initiatives as the Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault Policy Coordinator for the School of Law, and addresses concerns relating to discrimination including sexual harassment, violence, abuse or bullying, It's On Us to prevent sexual assault and other form of misconduct - “Say No to Sexual Assault and Violence”
- Serves as a point person for pregnant students. Click here to see Guidance for Pregnant Law Students.
Dean Stearns also teaches Professional Responsibility in the fall and spring semesters. Professional Responsibility TWEN website
Notification of Absence Form - All students who will be absent from class for any reason should complete the Absence Notification Online Form. This form is submitted to the Dean of Students, who will forward it to the individual faculty members listed to notify of the reason for an absence. Some professors rely on this form and track reasons for an absence. Others only count total numbers of absences. If a student is in doubt about the policy in a given class, he or she should check with the instructor. The Dean of Students does not have the authority to excuse any absences. For any student who will be absent from class for more than three days due to a medical or personal emergency, please contact the Dean of Students Office directly at (305) 284-4551 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the circumstances.