All classes, events, and non-essential operations on the University of Miami's Coral Gables and Rosenstiel campuses remain closed through Monday. Plans are to resume normal operations on Tuesday.
At the Miller School of Medicine, all non-essential and clinical activities have been canceled for today and Monday morning. Classes for first- and second- year Miller School students have been cancelled on Monday. All non-clinical research and administrative staff should not report to work tomorrow. Medical employees should receive more details at 7 p.m. tonight about the status of clinical activity for tomorrow afternoon.
Coral Gables Campus Parking Information
- Ponce and Pavia Garages are open to all vehicles with a valid UM permit, regardless of which color parking zone the permit is valid for, on a first-come, first-served basis. The permit must be displayed in order to enter the garage.
- The second floor of the Ponce Garage is reserved for UM vehicles only.
- Mahoney/Pearson Garage is reserved for resident students only.
- University Village Garages are open to University Village students only.
Members of the University community are urged to monitor the UM homepage, the Emergency Preparedness website, the Emergency Information Hotline at 1-800-227-0354 FREE, and local media for updates concerning University activities and operations that could potentially be impacted by the storm.
The University Crisis Decision Teams will be conferring throughout the day and another Storm Alert will be issued at 8 p.m.
People should not return to campus until the all-clear has been issued for their campus.
Miami-Dade County is currently under a tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch. The worst weather is expected from Sunday morning through Monday morning.
UM officials provided the following guidelines for the hurricane season:
Before a storm
- Make sure your contact and emergency information is correct and up-to-date in your myUM profile.
- Visit www.miami.edu/myUM, and on the right under the "Personal & Biographical Info" section, click "Personal, Address and Emergency/Evacuation Information."
- Back up all computer files on a network drive.
- Make sure you have all important phone numbers for your supervisor and the UM Emergency Information Hotline, 1-800-227-0354 FREE.
- If your work area is prone to flooding or leaks, access the need for covering office equipment with plastic; the materials can be procured from your Facilities Management/Physical Plant offices.
- Gables Campus: 305-284-8282
- Medical Campus: 305-243-6019
- Marine Campus: 305-421-4066
- Monitor Official Social Media Feeds:
- Supervisors and unit emergency planners should confirm through the UReady system that their unit's continuity plan is up-to-date and that all relevant emergency plans and policies are readily accessible.
- Each unit's human resources representative should download contact information from the Prepare Data Warehouse, and keep printed copies in multiple locations.
- All employees should prepare their area before leaving work today. Guidelines can be found on the Hurricane Preparedness website. We also highly recommend you take picture of your office if you have a smart phone or digital camera.
- Remain indoors.
- Do not open exterior doors or windows.
- Follow directions from your supervisors and university officials.
- Students and employees should contact family members by any available means and tell them that you are okay.
- Employees are encouraged to check in with their supervisor or designee to inform him or her of your status and where you can be reached.
- Remain inside until local or university officials say it's safe to leave. If you must go outside, beware of fallen objects and downed electric wires.
- Await further instructions from university officials
- Check for updates at www.miami.edu/prepare or 1-800-227-0354 FREE
Emergency Information Hotline is 1-800-227-0354 FREE
Faculty, staff, and students are asked to regularly monitor official communications issued by the University. The latest information is posted on the UM homepage and the Emergency Preparedness website. E-mails will be sent in the form of dated Storm Alert advisories.
All members of the UM community should take steps to ensure that the University can communicate with you in case a storm or some other emergency threatens our area. Make sure the University has your current contact information by verifying your profile (Personal, Address and Emergency/Evacuation Information) on myUM. When a situation warrants, mass text and voice messages and emails containing emergency information will be sent.
After a storm, students, faculty, or staff who are forced to evacuate or temporarily relocate to another area should notify the University of their new location and contact information by going to https://recover.miami.edu.
Campus Safety Phone Numbers:
Coral Gables Campus
UM Police Department: 305-284-6666
Miller School Campus
Security Department: 305-243-6000
Rosenstiel School Campus
Campus Safety: 305-421-4766 or 305-710-7991