This guide covers many of the issues surrounding how to research children's rights and how the law affects children. The following are select resources on children and the law, with a particular focus on digital resources. To locate additional titles, search Baron.
Last Updated Mar. 22, 2016. AJB
For those unfamiliar with Children and the Law, a secondary source is a good way to get started. Consider consulting a preeminent treatise such as:
- Legal Rights of Children, by Donald T. Kramer, (2005-current). Treatise Collection KF479.L44 2005 & Westlaw.
- Rights of Juveniles: The Juvenile Justice System, by Samuel M. Davis, (2014). Treatise Collection KF9794.D39 2014 & Westlaw.
Periodicals and Books are also a good place to start.
The United States Code Annotated (Core-A & Westlaw) and the United States Code Service (Core-A & Lexis) both list law related to children in their General Indexes with the term "children and minors." Many Public Laws are also indexed in the United States Code Annotated and United States Code Service's Popular Names Tables (Westlaw & Lexis). Several lists contain compiled federal laws related to children:
- The FBI keeps a list of federal statutory sections pertaining to crimes against children. The webpage provides links to PDF copies of the statutory sections listed.
- The Child Welfare Information Gateway contains a list of federal statutes that have a significant impact on child welfare.
- The Cornell Legal Information Institute contains lists of statutes on the topics of: children's rights, emancipation of minors, fifty state survey on emancipation of minors, child custody, child support, & adoption.
- The Children's Bureau contains information on federal law and legislation related to Child Welfare.
- Florida Rules of Judicial Administration and Florida Rules of Juvenile Procedure, by Florida Bar Continuing Education, (2014). Florida Collection KFF595.A29 F56.
- Florida Rules of Juvenile Procedure, by the Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Publications, (2014). Reserve, Reserve Audiovisual CD-Rom, & Florida Collection KFF595.A29 F56 2014.
Both the C.F.R. and Federal Register are in hard copy in the library Reference Collection and on HeinOnline, Westlaw (CFR, Fed. Reg.), & Lexis (CFR, Fed. Reg.). Unofficial information on federal regulation can be obtained through several websites: FDsys, eCFR, federal register, & regulation.gov. The following titles may be particularly relevant:
The Children's Bureau has a list of Regulatory Action that has taken place.
- Family Law Cases. Westlaw.
- Family Law Reporter. Looseleaf Collection KF501.A3 F3 & Online. An information service providing developments from across the nation, containing important new federal and state cases, legislation, trends, and issues. [Subscription Canceled 2011].
- Florida Family Law Reporter. Florida Collection KFF94.A6 F231 & Lexis. [Subscription Canceled 2011].
Below are a selection of Florida statutes related closely to children. These statutes can be found in the Florida, States, Reference, & Archives Collections in print as well as at the links listed below:
- Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, Fl. Stat. §§ 61.501-.542. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Primary Care for Children and Families, Fl. Stat. §§ 154.501-.507. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Children’s Medical Services, Fl. Stat. §§ 391.011-.308. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Juvenile Emergency Procedures and Children’s Substance Abuse Services, Fl. Stat. §§ 397.901-.998. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care Centers, Fl. Stat. §§ 400.901-.916. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Social Welfare, Fl. Stat. §§ 409.016-.997. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Handicap or High-Risk Condition Prevention and Early Childhood Assistance, Fl. Stat. §§ 411.201-.243. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Family Self-Sufficiency, Fl. Stat. §§ 414.025-.55. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Kidnapping, False Imprisonment; Luring or Enticing a Child, Custody Offenses, Fl. Stat. §§ 787.01-.07. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Abuse of Children, Fl. Stat. §§ 827.01-.10. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Obscenity, Fl. Stat. §§ 847.001-202. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Permitting Minors and Persons Under Guardianship to Gamble, Fl. Stat. § 849.04. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Student and Parental Rights and Educational Choices, Fl. Stat. §§ 1002.01-.97. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Public K-12 Education, Fl. Stat. §§ 1003.01-.621. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Public K-12 Education Support for Learning and Student Services, Fl. Stat. §§ 1006.025-.42. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- Assessment and Accountability, Fl. Stat. §§ 1008.02-.46. Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
Practice & Current Awareness
- Child Custody Practice & Procedure
- Determining Child & Spousal Support
- Florida Juvenile Law and Practice
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Adoption Law and Practice
- Family Law & Practice
- Child Welfare Law and Practice: Representing Children, Parents, and State Agencies in Abuse, Neglect and Dependency Cases, 2nd Ed., by Donald N. Duquette & Ann M. Haralambie, (2010). Treatise Collection KF3735.Z9 C47 2010.
- Child Welfare Law Office Guidebook: Best Practice Guidelines for Organizational Legal Representation of Children in Abuse, Neglect, and Dependency Cases, National Association of Counsel for Children, (2006). Treatise Collection KF337.5.J88 C55 2006.
- Children in the Courtroom: Challenges for Lawyers and Judges, 2nd Ed., by Sherrie B. Carter, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (2009). Treatise Collection KF9673.B68 2009.
- Child-Centered Practices for the Courtroom and Community: A Guide to Working Effectively with Young Children and Their Families in the Child Welfare System, by Lynne F. Katz, (2011). Treatise Collection HV741.K363 2011.
- Florida Juvenile Law and Practice, 12th Ed., by the Florida Bar, Continuing Legal Education, (2013). Reserve, Reserve Audiovisual CD-Rom, & Florida Collections KFF595.F56 2013.
- Representing Children in Child Protective Proceedings: Ethical and Practical Dimensions, 3rd Ed., by Jean K. Peters, (2007). Treatise Collection KF3735.P47 2007.
- Representing Juvenile Status Offenders, by Hannah Benton, American Bar Association (2010). Treatise Collection KF9794.R47 2010.
- Representing the Child Client, 2 vols., by Michael J. Dale, (1987 - current). Treatise Collection KF479.R46 1987 & Lexis.
- Am. Jur. 2d. Adoption, Westlaw Legal Forms.
- Am. Jur. 2d. Pl. & Prac. Adoption, Westlaw Legal Forms.
- Nichols Cyclopedia Ann. Adoption of Children, Westlaw Legal Forms.
- Nichols Cyclopedia Ann. Parent & Child, Westlaw Legal Forms.
- Child Custody and Visitation, Lexis Forms.
- Disputed Paternity Proceedings, Lexis Forms.
- Family Law Litigation Guide, Lexis Forms.
- Florida Family Law, Lexis Forms.
- Automated Florida Guardianship Forms, Lexis Forms.
- Florida Automated Family Law Forms, Lexis Forms.
- ABA Child Law Practice, ABA Center on Children and the Law, (1996 - current). Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, & HeinOnline.
- Children's Legal Rights Journal, (1986 - current). Anglo-American Periodicals & HeinOnline.
- International Journal of Children's Rights, (1989 - current). HeinOnline.
- Juvenile and Family Court Journal, National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges, (1978 - current). Anglo-American Periodicals & HeinOnline.
- Kentucky Children's Rights Journal, Northern Kentucky Children's Law Center, (1991 - current). Westlaw.
- Report on Emotional & Behavioral Disorders in Youth, (2000-current). Anglo-American Periodicals.
- UC Davis Journal of Juvenile Law and Policy, University of California at Davis King Hall School of Law, Advocates for the Rights of Children, (1996 - current). Anglo-American Periodical, Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline.
- Whittier Journal of Child and Family Advocacy, Whittier Law School (2002 - current), (also known as Journal of Child and Family Advocacy). Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline.
- Youth Law News, National Center for Youth Law, (2000 - current). Online.
To find additional citations to journal articles about children and the law, look in Index to Legal Periodicals (Anglo-American Periodicals & Online), LegalTrac, Westlaw Legal Resource Index & Lexis Legal Resource Index.
- A.B.A. Center on Children and the Law
- Child Welfare League of America (CWLA)
- Children's Defense Fund
- Florida Department of Children and Families
- National Association of Counsel for Children (NACC)
- National Center for Youth Law
- National Children's Advocacy Center
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges (NCJFCJ)
- National Council on Child Abuse and Family Violence
- National Indian Child Welfare Association (NICWA)
Selected Books from the UM Law Library
- A Parent-Partner Status for American Family Law, by Merle H. Weiner, (2015).
- Children and the Law in a Nutshell, 5th Ed., by Douglas E. Abrams, Sarah H. Ramsey, Susan Vivian Mangold, (2015).
- Educating Children Without Housing: a Primer on Legal Requirements and Implementation Strategies for Educators, Advocates and Policymakers, by Lisa M. Coleman, (2014).
- Flawed Convictions: "Shaken Baby Syndrome" and the Inertia of Injustice, by Deborah Tuerkheimer, (2014).
- Minding Minors Wandering the Web: Regulating Online Child Safety, by Simone van der Hof, Bibi van den Berg, & Bart Schermer, (2014).
- Understanding Juvenile Law, 3rd Ed., by Martin R. Gardner, (2014).
- Children Held Hostage: Identifying Brainwashed Children, Presenting a Case, and Crafting Solutions, by Stanley S. Clawar & Brynne V. Rivlin, (2013).
- The Hague Child Abduction Convention: a Critical Analysis, by Rhona Schuz, (2013).
- Raised on the Registry: The Irreparable Harm of Placing Children on Sex Offender Registries in the US, by Nicole Pittman & Alison Parker, (2013).
- Reconceptualizing Children’s Rights in International Development: Living Rights, Social Justice, Translations, Karl Hanson & Olga Nieuwenhuys eds., (2013).
- Trial Manual for Defense Attorneys in Juvenile Delinquency Cases, by Randy Hertz, ABA Criminal Justice Section, (2013).
- Article 17: Access to A Diversity of Mass Media Sources, by Sherry W. Sacino, (2012). Commentary on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, 1574-8626.
- Article 32: Protection from Economic Exploitation, by Lee Swepston, (2012). Commentary on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, 1574-8626.
- Article 33: Protection from Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, by Damon Barrett & Philip E. Veerman, (2012). Commentary on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Children.
- Battered Women, Their Children, and International Law: The Unintended Consequences o the Hague Child Abduction Convention, by Taryn Lindhorst & Jeffrey L. Edleson, Northeastern University Press, (2012).
- Black Child-Savers: Racial Democracy and Juvenile Justice, by Geoff K. Ward, University of Chicago Press, (2012).
- Confessing the International Rights of Children: The Basic Documents with Analysis, by Farhad Malekian & Kerstin Nordlof, Cambridge Scholars, (2012).
- Do the Crime, Do the Time: Juvenile Criminals and Adult Justice in the American Court System, by G. Larry Mays & Rick Ruddell, (2012).
- Future of Child and Family Law: International Predictions, by Elaine E. Sutherland, Cambridge University Press, (2012).
- Growing Up Locked Down: Youth in Solitary Confinement in Jails and Prisons Across the United States, by Ian Kysel, ACLU Human Rights Watch (2012).
- Law and Childhood Studies: Current Legal Issues 2011, Michael Freeman ed., Oxford University Press, (2012).
- Little Angels: An International Legal Perspective on Child Discrimination, by Ann-Marie M. Cotter, (2012).
- No Undocumented Child Left Behind: Plyler v. Doe and the Education of Undocumented Schoolchildren, by Michael A. Olivas, (2012).
- Children’s Rights Under the Law, by Samuel M. Davis, Oxford University Press, (2011).
- Constitutional Rights of Children: In re Gault and Juvenile Justice, by David S. Tanenhaus, University Press of Kansas, (2011).
- Discretionary Justice: Looking Inside a Juvenile Drug Court, by Leslie Paik, Rutgers University Press, (2011).
- Guidelines of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe on Child-Friendly Justice, (2011).
- International Child Law, 2nd Ed., by Trevor Buck, (2011).
- Justice for Kids: Keeping Kids Out of the Juvenile Justice System, by Nancy E. Dowd, New York University, (2011).
- Juveniles at Risk: A Plea for Preventive Justice, by Christopher Slobogin & Mark R. Fondacaro, University Press, (2011).
- Schools and Armed Conflict: A Global Survey of Domestic Laws and State Practice Protecting Schools from Attack and Military Use, by Bede Sheppard, (2011).
- Trial Advocacy for the Child Welfare Lawyer: Telling the Story of the Family, by Marvin Ventrell, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (2011).
- Victim Advocacy in the Courtroom: Persuasive Practices in Domestic Violence and Child Protection Cases, by Mary L. Schuster & Amy D. Propen, (2011).
- Children, Tribes, and States: Adoption and Custody Conflicts Over American Indian Children, by Barbara A. Atwood, (2010).
- Cycle of Juvenile Justice, 2nd Ed., by Thomas J. Bernard & Megan C. Kurlychek, Oxford University Press, (2010).
- International Children’s Rights, by Sara Dillon, (2010).
- It's Your Life: Opening Doors: Improving the Legal System's Approach to LGBTQ Youth in Foster Care, by Krishna Desai, (2010).
- Juvenile Justice System, by National Association of Social Workers Press, (NASW), (2010)
- Legal Rights of Children, National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Press, (2010).
- School-to-Prison Pipeline: Structuring Legal Reform, by Catherine Y. Kim, (2010).
- Children, Law, and Disasters: What We Have Learned from Katrina and the Hurricanes of 2005?, by ABA Center on Children and the Law & University of Houston Law Center, (2009).
- Runaway and Homeless Youth and the Law: Model State Statutes, by Amy Horton ed., ABA Commission on Homelessness and Poverty & National Network for Youth, (2009).
- No Child Left Behind: Issues and Developments, Paul H. Berkhart ed., (2008).
- Legislative History of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, (2007).
Other Research Guides
- Children’s Rights: International Laws, The Law Library of Congress
- Child Advocacy Law, Harvard Law School Library
- Research Sources for Juvenile Justice, University of Washington Gallagher Law Library
- Immigrant Child Advocacy Center Research Guide, University of Chicago Law Library
- Children and International Law Guide, University of Georgia Law Library
- Child Custody and Support, Texas State Law Library
- Child Abuse and Neglect, Penn State University Library
- Child Law Research Guide, Loyola University Law Library
- Children Rights, HG.org