Last Updated: Jan. 11, 2015, AJB
Created: June 2013, VT
This research Guide covers some, but not all, electronic and hardcopy career planning sources in the Law Library. The Career Development Office in room A112 of the Law School, (305) 284-2668, is also a place to contact. The web site has a secured link to a job posting database. This office also has a collection of books on career planning.
Job Searching Strategy
University of Miami Law School students and alumni have access to the Career Development Office. The Career Development Office provides a number of excellent resources to help students find both summer and post-graduate employment. Information regarding the Symplicity Database is also available through the Career Development Office. To use the library resources for job searching, consider looking on Westlaw, Lexis, & Bloomberg for cases in your field of interets and make a note of judges and attorneys who were involved in these cases. Contact them to apply for a job. Conversely, if you have an interview with a specific judge or attorney, search Westlaw, Lexis, & Bloomberg for cases in which they were involved. Westlaw has a link from its opening page, to Career Prep. Search newspaper articles about companies and law firms that are moving to your area of interest. The Daily Business Review (Miami, Broward, & Palm Beach) is also a good place to look for leads. Current copies are at the Law Library's Circulation Desk and on the Library's Subscription Database List.
Select Job Searching Websites
Use directories when hunting for a job. Addressing your letter to a specific person in an organization rather than the organization in general is better. Do not begin a letter with the phrase "my name is." Most companies and government agencies have job postings on their websites. To locate some federal jobs go to usa.gov and click Government Jobs. Selected current directories are listed below:
- Almanac of the Federal Judiciary, Reference Collection KF8700.A19 A46.
- American Bench: Judges of the Nation, Reference Collection KF8775.A78.
- BNA's Directory of State and Federal Courts, Judges, and Clerks, Reference Desk KF8700.A19 B53.
- Congressional Yellow Book: Who's Who in Congress, Including Committees and Key Staff, Reference Desk JK1012.C6.
- Federal Yellow Book: Who's Who in Federal Departments and Agencies, Reference Collection JK6.F45.
- Judicial Yellow Book: Who's Who in Federal and State Courts, Reference Collection KF8700.A19 J835.
- Legal Recruiters Directory, Anglo American Periodicals.
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, Reserve Collection & Online.
- Municipal Yellow Book: Who's Who in the Leading City and County Governments and Local Authorities, Reference Desk JS301.M86.
- National Association for Law Placement: Directory of Legal Employers, Reference Collection KF297.A1 N35 & Online.
State Yellow Book: Who;s Who in the Legislative Branches of the 50 State Governments, Reference Desk JK2403.S77.
Selected Books From the UM Law Library
- ABA Guide to International Bar Admissions, by Russell W. Dombrow, & Nancy A. Matos, American Bar Association Section of International Law and the American Bar Association Section of Legal Eduation and Admissions to the Bar (2012). Treatise Collection K120.A22 2012.
- Becoming a Law Professor: A Candidate's Guide, by Brannon P. Denning, et. al., (2010). Treatise Collection KF272.D46 2010.
- Best Friends at the Bar: The New Balance for Today's Woman Lawyer, by Susan SD. Blakely, (2012). Treatise Collection KF299.W6 B588 2012.
- Beyond the Big Firm: Profiles of Lawyers Who Want Something More, by Diane T. Chin, (2007). Treatise Collection KF299.P8 M67 2007.
- Building a Better Legal Profession's Guide to Law Firms: The Law Student's Guide to Finding the Perfect Law Firm Job, Irene Hahn ed., (2009). Treatise Collection KF297.B85 2009.
- Building Your Practice with Pro Bono for Lawyers, by Nelson P. Miller, American Bar Association Law Practice Management Section (2012). Treatise Collection KF336.M55 2012.
- Career Opportunities in Law and the Legal Industry, 2nd Ed. by Susan Echaore-McDavid, (2007). Treatise Collection KF297.E245 2007.
- Careers in Administrative Law & Regulatory Practice, James T. O'Reilly ed., American Bar Association Section on Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice (2010). Treatise Collection KF299.A32 C37 2010.
- Careers in Animal Law: Welfare, Protection, & Advocacy, by Yolanda Eisenstein, American Bar Association Law Practice Management Section/Law Student Division (2011). Treatise Collection KF299.A55 E37 2011.
- Careers in Criminal Law, Ellen Brotman ed., American Bar Association Section of International Law (2010). Treatise Collection KF299.C7 C37 2010.
- Careers in International Law, by Salli A. Swartz ed., American Bar Association Section of International Law (2012). International Collection KZ1238.U55 C37 2012.
- Careers in International Law: A Guide to Career Paths and Internships in International Law, American Society of International Law, (2013-14). International Collection KZ1238.U55 C374 2013/2014.
- Careers in IP Law: Avenues and Opportunities, American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law, (2013). Treatise Collection KF3165.Z9 C375 2013.
- Careers in National Security Law, Lauren Bean ed., American Bar Association Standing Committee on Law and National Security (2008). Treatise Collection KF4850.C37 2008.
- Careers in Tax Law: Perspectives on the Tax Profession and What It Holds for You, John Gamino et. al. eds., (2009). Tax Collection KF299.T3 C37 2009.
- Cracking the Code: Unlocking the Potential Future Leaders in the Legal Profession, by Judith F. Freedman, (2010). Treatise Collection KF297.F74 2010.
- Effective Associate Training and Development Program, by Austin G. Anderson & Sandra J. Boyer, American Bar Association (2005). Treatise Collection KF297.A54 2005.
- Excellence in the Workplace: Legal & Life Skills in a Nutshell, by Kay Kavanagh & Paula Nailon, (2007). Treatise Collection KF297.Z9 K38 2007.
- Fifty Legal Careers for Non-Lawyers, by Ursula Furi-Perry, American Bar Association (2008). Treatise Collection KF320.L4 F87 2008.
- Fifty Unique Legal Paths: How to Find the Right Job, by Ursula Furi-Perry, American Bar Association, (2008). D201 Collection KF297.F87 2008.
- From Lemons to Lemonade in the New Legal Job Market: Winning Job Search Strategies for Entry-Level Attorneys, by Richard L. Hermann, (2012). Treatise Collection KF297.H437 2012.
- Future Performance: Your Guide to a Successful Career in Law, by Mona M. Stone, (2009). Treatise Collection KF297.S76 2009.
- Guide to International Law Careers, by Anneke Smit and Christopher Waters, British Institute of International and Comparative Law (2009). International Collection KZ1237.S645 2009.
- How to Be a Law Professor Guide: From Getting That First Job to Retirement, by Ronald W. Eades, (2008). Treatise Collection KF297.E33 2008.
- How to Build and Manage a Family Law Practice, by American Bar Association Section of Family Law, (2006). Treatise & Reserve Audiovisual Collections KF300.C455 2006.
- How to Build and Manage an Estates Practice 2nd Ed., by Daniel B. Evans, American Bar Association Law Practice Management Section, Section of Real Property, Trusts and Estate Law (2008). Tax & Reserve Audiovisual Collections KF750.E8 2008.
- In House: A Lawyer's Guide to Getting A Corporate Legal Position, by David J. Parnell, American Bar Association Section of Legal Education and Admission to the Bar (2012). Treatise Collection KF299.I5 P37 2012.
- Inside the Minds: The Art & Science of Legal Recruiting: Legal Search Experts on What Recruiters & Their Candidates Need to Know to Win Successful Placements in Today's Legal Market, (2005). Treatise Collection KF320.L4 A78 2005.
- Job Quest for Lawyers: The Essential Guide to Finding and Landing the Job You Want, by Sheila Nielson, (2011). Treatise Collection KF297.N54 2011.
- Landing a Federal Legal Job: Finding Success in the U.S. Government Job Market, by Richard L. Hermann, American Bar Association (2011). Treatise Collection KF299.G6 H473 2011.
- Lawyer Bubble: A Profession in Crisis, by Steven J. Harper, (2013). Treatise Collection KF300.H3687 2013.
- Lawyers at Work, by Clare Cosslett, (2012). Treatise Collection K120.C67 2012.
- Lawyers Lead On: Lawyers with Disabilities Share Their Insights, Carrie G. Basas et. al. eds., American Bar Association Commission on Mental and Physical Disability (2011). Treatise Collection KF480.L39 2011.
- Leading Lawyer: A Guide to Practicing Law and Leadership, Robert W. Cullen ed., (2009). Treatise Collection KF300.L43 2009.
- Legal Career Guide: From Law Student to Lawyer 5th Ed., by Gary A. Munneke & Ellen Wayne, (2008). Treatise & Reserve Audiovisual Collection KF297.M865 2008.
- Managing Your Legal Career: Best Practices for Creating the Career You Want, by Richard L. Hermann, American Bar Association (2010). Treatise Collection KF297.H45 2010.
- Millenial Lawyer: Making the Most of Generational Differences in the Firm, by Ursula Furi-Perry, American Bar Association Section of Law Practice Management (2012). Treatise Collection KF297.F875 2012.
- New Lawyer's Handbook: 101 Things They Don't Teach You in Law School, by Karen Thalacker, (2009). Treatise Collection KF300.T48 2009.
- New What Can You Do With a Law Degree? A Lawyer's Guide to Career Alternatives Inside, Outside, & Around the Law, 5th Ed., by Deborah Arron, (2012). Treatise Collection KF297.Z9 A772 2012.
- Nonlegal Careers for Lawyers, 5th Ed., by Gary A. Munneke, American Bar Association Law Practice Management Section (2006). Treatise Collection KF297.U842 2006.
- Opportunity Maker: Strategies for Inspiring Your Legal Career Through Creative Networking and Business Development, by Ari L. Kaplan, (2008). Room D201 KF297.K37 2008.
- Practicing Law in Small-Town America, by Richard L. Hermann, American Bar Association General Practice, Solo & Small Firm Division (2012). Treatise Collection KF297.H475 2012.
- Preparing for Reentry: What Lawyers Need to Know to Navigate the Road Ahead After a Career Break, by M. Diane Vogt, American Bar Association (2009). Treatise Collection KF298.V64 2009.
- Resumes for Law Careers, 3rd Ed., (2008). Treatise Collection KF298.V64 2009.
- Running From the Law: Why Good Lawyers are Getting Out of the Legal Profession, by Deborah Arron, (2004). Treatise Collection KF297.A87 2004.
- Small Firms, Big Opportunity: How to Get Hired (And Succeed) In the New Legal Economy, by Linda C. Hanson & Samantha Williams, (2012). Treatise Collection KF297.H325 2012.
- Solo By Choice: How to Be the Lawyer You Always Wanted to Be, by Carolyn Elefant, (2011). Treatise Collection KF300.Z9 E44 2011.
- Staying at Home, Staying in the Law: A Guide to Remaining Active in the Legal Profession While Pursuing Your Dreams, by Julie Towers-Pierce, American Bar Association (2008). Treatise Collection KF299.W6 T68 2008.
- Thrive: A New Lawyer's Guide to Law Firm Practice, by Desiree Moore, American Bar Association (2012). Treatise Collection KF297.M66 2012.
- Tomorrow's Lawyers: An Introduction to Your Future, by Richard Susskind, (2013). International Collection K120.S87 2013.
- Turning Points: New Paths & Second Careers for Lawyers, Vol. II, by George H. Cain, American Bar Assocaition Senior Lawyers Division (2009). Treatise Collection KF298.C24 2009.
- Ultimate Guie to Your Legal Career: What Every Young Lawyer Must Know to Avoid the Mistakes and Maximize the Value of a Career in the Law, by K. Charles Cannon, (2007). Treatise Collection KF297.C327 2007.
- Young Litigator: Tips on Rainmaking, Writing, and Trial Practice, by American Bar Association Section of Litigation Young Lawyers Leadership Program, (2011). Treatise Collection KF297.Y678 2011.
Your First Year As a Lawyer Revealed: Secrets, Opportunities, and Success!, by Ursula Furi-Perry, (2010). Treatise Collection KF297.F873 2010.
Cross-References to Other Guides
- Career Planning, Job Search and More for Law Students, by Donna Guinac UCLA Hugh & Hazel Darling Law Library. .
- The Gallagher Law Library at University of Washington has a number of Research Guides focusing on career development, including: Careers in International Law, Getting the Scoop on Jobs & Careers, Government Work, Legal Career Tips, Learning about Legal Specialties & Practice Areas, Public Service Careers: Research Tips, Public Service Careers: Research Tips, & Sample Searches for Networking & Informational Interviews.