Exam 4 Download Instructions (3 minutes)
Please visit Exam 4 FAQ + Support for an updated list of operating systems that are compatable with the Exam 4 software.
Taking a practice exam on Exam4 Software:
1. Open up the Exam4 Software. Select Prepare to Start New Exam. Enter your AGN and select Practice Exam.
2. Adjust the font size. Check that you agree to the Honor Code.
3. Exam Mode: You can select the mode that your professor will be using or take a practice test with each mode to see how they differ. You will type one of the following modes in the box:
· OPEN - This mode will permit you to access the files on your computer, but not the internet. (Open book, notes only)
· OPEN +NETWORK - You will type OPEN and then type NETWORK. This mode will permit you to access the files on your computer and the internet. (Open book, all access).
· CLOSED – This mode will block access to files and internet (Closed book).
Check the box to confirm the mode. Reconfirm then select “Begin Exam”. You must keep track of your own time.
4. After you have launched the Exam4 Software. You will have a blank screen where you will type your essay answer. From the top menu click “Exam Document” to open the document viewer. Enter the Document ID (case sensitive) and click “Fetch”. Your document ID for the practice exam is: Practice .
5. Your practice test will appear in the window. You can click the “Hide” button (at the bottom) and the “Exam Document” (at the top) to switch back and forth between the test and the typing screen or you can click on the “Side-by-side View” button at the bottom so that you can see both your exam and your typing screen side by side.
6. Your "practice test" document contains instructions for the Exam4 features available. Take time to read it and familiarize yourself with software features by exploring all the menus available to you such as formatting and inserting answer separators.
7. To answer your multiple-choice questions click on "Multiple Choice" at the top to open the multiple-choice box. You can click "Hide" to hide the multiple-choice box and go back to your typing screen or click on "Multiple Choice" again and the box will pop back up. You can also click on the "Side-by-side view" button at the bottom so that you can see both your exam and your multiple-choice box side by side. Enlarge the Exam4 screen/window if necessary.
8. When you are done with your exam, close/hide the multiple-choice window (if you have it open), select “End Exam” from the top menu and then click “Submit Electronically”. Once you get the green screen, you’ll know your exam submission was successful. You can then exit Exam4 from the top menu.
Trouble Shooting Tips
-If your Exam4 software freezes and you have not started typing, try to end the exam without submitting (if it lets you, if not, just end/exit exam). Once you exit out of the software, try to go back in and start a new exam. If that still doesn't work, try to re-download the software and/or restart your computer and then go in and start a new exam. Check your computer's compatibility with the software here https://www.exam4.com/support/.
-If your Exam4 software freezes and you had already typed all or part of your exam, send us an email with a number where we can reach you (or call us) to report the issue and we will instruct you on how to proceed. Do not panic, you will be allowed to make up any lost time and the software auto-saves your exam every 2 minutes.
-If you are not seeing your Professor's exam when you enter the Document ID. Check the following: Make sure you are entering it in the Document ID section under the Exam Document screen and not on the multiple-choice box screen. Check that you are not trying to access it before the exam starts. Make sure you are using the correct capitalization (case sensitive). If all these still do not solve the problem, try to end the exam without submitting (if it lets you, if not, just end/exit the exam). Once you exit out of the software, try to go back in and start a new exam. If that still doesn't work, try to re-download the software and/or restart your computer and then go in and start a new exam.
-If the side-by-side view is not working, try to resize your screen.
-If it is a timed exam and you are having software issues, once you have solved the software problem, take note of the time when you actually begin your exam and be sure to take the full-time allotted to you. We can see on the back-end when you began/ended your exam. Make sure to send us an email letting us know what your problem was.