Miami Law's Office of the Registrar provides many services to law students and alumni beyond course registration. The Law Registrar also collects and disseminates student and academic information through processes that ensure the integrity and security of all records.
To Access Forms: To access forms on this site, you will need to use your login credentials for CaneLink in the following format: (cgcent\cane ID and then the password). For example cgcent\jsmith.
Audits for J.D., Concentrations/Areas of Focus, Graduation
For Absence from Campus:
All students who will be absent from class for any reason should complete the Absence Notification Online Form. This form is submitted to the Dean of Students, who will forward it to the individual faculty members listed to notify of the reason for an absence. Some professors rely on this form and track reasons for an absence. Others only count total numbers of absences. If a student is in doubt about the policy in a given class, he or she should check with the instructor. The Dean of Students does not have the authority to excuse any absences. For any student who will be absent from class for more than three days due to a medical or personal emergency, please contact the Dean of Students Office directly at (305) 284-4551 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the circumstances.
Request for Permission to Visit Away Form
Request for Leave of Absence Form
Verification of Enrollment or Degree
The University of Miami Law School has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree and enrollment verification. If you are an Employer, Credit Grantor, Insurance Company, Background Screening Agency, etc., please contact the National Student Clearinghouse at any of the following:
Fax: (703) 318-4058
E-mail (Degree Verification): email@example.com
E-mail (Enrollment Verification): firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (703) 742-4200
National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard
Herndon, VA 20171
Current students can also fill out a Verification of Enrollment Form.
The University of Miami School of Law has various staff members that can provide notary services for Bar related documents. Click here to see a full list of individuals who are notaries and the departments they work in at Miami Law.
Diplomas are not ordered until all holds have been cleared.
Participation in the Commencement Ceremony or the listing of a student’s name in the Commencement Book in no way implies or ensures graduation. A student’s graduation is contingent upon successful completion of the degree requirements and approval by the academic school or college.
If there are no holds, diplomas are ordered automatically the following week after the degree is posted to your transcript. Diplomas are mailed directly from the printing company to the address entered in CaneLink at the time you applied for graduation. Once the order is placed, it may take up to two additional weeks to receive your diploma.
If there are any changes after the application is submitted, you must notify the Law Registrar in person or in writing of the new address for your diploma. You can update your address on CaneLink, and then send an email to email@example.com and request your diploma to be mailed to your new address.
Please note that posting degrees takes several weeks after graduation.
The name on your diploma will default to the official name on your student record in Canelink. To update your diploma name to something other than a variation of your official name, please see the “Official Name Change” section on this webpage.
Order a Diploma Replacement and eDiploma Online
The following Online Diploma Service is available through our official diploma vendor, the Michael Sutter Company.
- Order a replacement diploma - Order your diploma easily online. You will be able to choose Standard Delivery or Express Overnight Delivery. There is a $15.00 charge for each Diploma Replacement. Your Diploma will be printed and mailed within 1-2 days of your order.
- Request Notary Service - Request to have your diploma notarized and sent to you for Department of State Apostille purposes. Instructions on how to complete the Apostille process included when requesting Notary Service.
- Order an Official UM eDiploma - Your University of Miami eDiploma is a Signed and Certified PDF of your original paper diploma used for easy diploma verification purposes. The UM eDiploma is a one-time charge of $5. You will receive your eDiploma within minutes of ordering. You can then share your eDiploma as often as you need.
- Diploma Status - Search the status of your diploma order whether it is your new diploma or replacement diploma.
The University of Miami has changed transcript services and is now working with TranscriptsPlus, a service of Credentials Solutions. Transcript options available now include hard copy paper transcripts as well as electronic PDF transcripts.
Transcripts are ordered online or over the phone at 847-716-3005 for an additional operator surcharge.
- Once a transcript has been mailed, the recipient address will not be changed. If you would like a transcript sent to a different address, a new request must be submitted.
- Transcript processing is taking between 7-10 days due to the University of Miami’s student information system conversion. During the conversion some errors occurred; we are checking every transcript before it is mailed to ensure accuracy. Thank you for your patience.
APOSTILLE AND NOTARIZED - Only select this option if the recipient has requested an apostille and notarized transcript.
For the Apostille and Notarized option, you must send the following to the Office of the University Registrar.
- A Large envelope with Pre-Paid postage and addressed to the final recipient where you want the State Department to mail the Transcript to once it is completed.
- In addition, include a $10.00 check or money order payable to the “Florida Department of State” for each copy of an Apostille Transcript you order. This is the State’s processing fee.
- Please mail all of the above items to:
University of Miami
Office of the University Registrar
1306 Stanford Drive
The University Center, Room 1230
Coral Gables, FL 33146
Please allow additional time, as the Registrar cannot process your order until they receive all of the required items above.
Once the Registrar receives your envelope and check, they will mail it to the Florida Department of State along with the notarized transcript.
The Florida Department of State will place the Apostille on the transcript; they will then mail the Apostille transcript to the address you provided on the pre-addressed envelope.
Pick up orders will be available at the Office of the University Registrar (address listed above).
Students who need to update or correct their name must submit the Name Change Form and provide documentation to the Law Registrar's Office. Documents verifying a name change must be original, legal documents or certified copies. Acceptable documents are:
- Marriage license
- Divorce documents
- Naturalization papers
- Court Order
- Birth Certificate (Birth certificates are acceptable only for correcting spelling errors in your name.)
To change a married name back to a maiden name, legal documentation other than a birth certificate must be provided.
International Student Name Changes: In addition to providing the above documentation, International students must also first obtain a signature on the Change of Name Form from their International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) advisor. The ISSS department is located in Whitten University Center (also known as the UC), Suite 2275, 2nd floor, 305-284-2928 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the signature is obtained, the form may then be submitted with the legal documentation to:
Law Registrar's Office
University of Miami School of Law, Room A210
P.O. Box 248087
Coral Gables, FL 33124