Miami Law provides in-depth advising and guidance based on each student’s individual needs, desires, challenges, background, and goals through our Student Development Program. The program is a testament to Miami Law's commitment to students' academic, professional, and personal well-being. Our Student Development Directors are licensed attorneys who bring a unique set of talents, backgrounds, and industry experience to the department.
Each incoming student is paired with a Student Development Director for the duration of law school. Directors meet individually with each student during the first semester of 1L year to become familiar with their backgrounds, challenges, short and long term goals. Our Directors maintain an open door policy and meet with students on an as-needed basis. In most cases, Student Development Directors are the student’s primary administrative contact during their law school career.
Student Development works with law students on any number of academic, professional, and personal issues, including but not limited to:
- Strategic planning for maximizing the law school experience
- Best practices and habits for law school success
- Short and long term career and life goals
- Integration of academic goals and career goals
- Time/stress management and work/life balance
- Graduation requirements and registration
- Curricular planning in conjunction with the Faculty
- General and bar preparation study skills in conjunction with the Academic Achievement Program