Miami Law now has an exchange program with the Fundacão Getulio Vargas (FGV) School of Law, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Law School at the FGV in Rio was established in 2002, and has already established itself as a leading law institution. The law program focuses on business law, public advocacy, and judiciary power. The university is in a neighborhood of Rio which is readily accessible by public transportation and has a wonderful view of the water from the law school.
About Rio de Janeiro
Rio is the second largest city in Brazil, and the third largest metropolitan area in South America. It is particularly known for its natural beauty, combining lengthy stretches of beach with rugged mountains and hills creating views from many sections of the city. As a city it offers a wide range of activities and events ranging from opera and classical music to its magical Carnival; from samba to soccer; from historical structures to 20th century architecture. As a top tourist destination it was chosen to host two big events: the 2014 Soccer World Cup and the 2016 the summer Olympics.
- This one-semester exchange opportunity is for up to two upper-level J.D. students.
- The exchange takes place during the fall term, from early August to mid-December though it is also possible to attend during spring semester from February through June.
- Courses are taught in Portuguese.
- Course credits earned at the FGV Direito Rio will count toward the J.D. degree.
Tuition, Fees, Social Events & Housing
Students will pay tuition and other required fees to the University of Miami. Miami Law students pay no tuition or fees to the FGV except for certain social events and discretionary fees.
Please provide the following information:
- A short letter (1-2 pages) stating the reasons for interest;
- A listing of significant international experience (growing up in a foreign country, work in the Peace Corps, the military or business, studying for a semester or more abroad), and/or extensive academic training in international relations, international business, area studies, or related fields;
- A copy of one’s CV; and
- Law school GPA and grades in relevant courses, or a copy of law school transcript.
Application information must be received by April 1st for fall semester. Applications should be sent to Sandy Abraham at email@example.com. For any additional questions, please contact Sandy Abraham.