With a verdict in the George Zimmerman trail in the murder of Trayvon Martin, University of Miami School of Law Professors were called upon to comment on the front pages ofThe New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Miami Herald, as well as radio, wire services, and other platforms:
Professor Mary Anne Franks has been interviewed for continuing commentary on ABC's Local 10 News. Her commentary appears in:
- "Looking out for 'stealth jurors'"
- "How social media impacts jury selection"
- "George Zimmerman trial begins Monday"
Professor Franks was also in USA Today's "Testimony Hurting Zimmerman Prosecution", The Wall Street Journal's "Prosecution Rests Its Case in Zimmerman Murder Trial", "Social media infiltrates Zimmerman trial" on WDAY News 6.
Professor Scott Sundby, author of "A Life and Death Decision: A Jury Weighs the Death Penalty," is interviewed about jury selection and the George Zimmerman trial on ABC 10 News in the story "Reporter's Notebook: Can a potential juror caught lying face perjury?" Professor Sundby also commented in "What now for George Zimmerman?" in theMohave Valley Daily News.
Professor Tamara Rice Lave helped define terms such as "beyond a reasonable doubt," "presumption of innocence" on ABC 10 News "Reporter's Notebook: Guide of relevant legal terms". Professor Lave was also quoted in:
- The Miami Herald's "Civil-rights leaders call on Justice Department to act"
- BuzzFeed Politics' "Civil Case Against Zimmerman In Florida Has Little Chance Of Success"
- "After The Verdict: A WLRN Radio Special Report"
- "Feds Weigh Charging Zimmerman in Killing" in The Wall Street Journal
- and in The New York Times' "In Zimmerman Case, Self-Defense Was Hard to Topple".
- "Local Pastors Meeting With MDPD Ahead Of Zimmerman Verdict" on CBS Miami.
- "NAACP holds town hall forum on George Zimmerman trial" in The Miami Herald.
- "Racism, Not Riots, Is The Trayvon Issue, NAACP Hear" on WGCU/NPR news.
- "Role Of Race In George Zimmerman Trial" on CBS Miami.
Lecturer in Law and Director of our Professional Responsibility and Ethics Program Jan Jacobowitz is quoted in:
- "Social media, tech took outsize roles in Trayvon Martin case" in The Palm Beach Post.
- In "Social media shaped Zimmerman trial start to finish" in The Bradenton Herald.
- The Miami Herald's "Social media, technology drove Zimmerman trial"