Attorney Elizabeth Honkonen, J.D. ’98, has been named President of the Law Alumni Association (LAA) for the 2011 - 2012 fiscal year. She previously served as President-elect, Vice President for Regional Programs, Vice President for Alumni Relations and Activities, and Vice President of Fundraising.
The LAA is a powerful national and global network. The Law School has over 19,000 alumni located throughout all 50 states and in over 66 countries, with over 11,000 in the state of Florida. The association's main goal is to help strengthen the School's position by supporting the Dean with fundraising, student recruitment and placement efforts.
Born in Miami, Honkonen earned her Bachelor of Science from Georgetown University and her J.D., summa cum laude, from Miami Law, where she was a member of the Order of the Coif, the National Scholastic Honor Society for Law, and managing editor of University of Miami Law Review.
A shareholder at the Miami law firm of Kenny Nachwalter, she practices legal malpractice defense, professional liability, complex commercial litigation and securities litigation. Honkonen has served as a legal research and writing instructor at Miami Law.
The new Executive Board of Directors also includes:
- President-elect - Devang Desai, JD ’03
- VP for Alumni Relations & Activities - Edward Shohat, JD ’72
- VP for Alumni Communications - Preston Clark, JD ’08
- VP for Fundraising - Jaret L. Davis, JD ’99
- VP for Student Affairs - Araly Herrera-Borgen, JD ’97
- Secretary - Patricia A. Redmond, JD ’79
- Treasurer - Daniel Matlow - JD ’00
- National Alumni Council - Todd S. Payne, JD ’89
- Young Alumni Committee - David Magilligan, JD ’07
- Immediate Past President - Jerry M. Markowitz, JD ’74