Last Updated: Nov. 10, 2014. AJB
Mental Health Law is an expanding area of law that deals with mental disability, civil commitment, therapeutic jurisprudence, advocacy, sanism (discrimination against people who are mentally ill), etc. This research guide contains select resources on mental health. To locate additional titles, search Baron.
For those unfamiliar with mental health law, a secondary source is a good way to get started. Consider consulting a preeminent treatise such as:
- Civil mental disability law, evidence and testimony : a comprehensive reference manual for lawyers, judges and mental disability professionals, Treatise Collection KF3828 .P37 2010.
- Criminal Mental Health and Disability Law, Evidence and Testimony: A Comprehensive Reference Manual for Lawyers, Judges and Criminal Justice Professionals, Treatise Collection KF9242 .P373 2009.
- Mental Disability Law: A Primer, Treatise Collection KF480 .M42 1995 & Westlaw.
- Mental Disability Law: Civil and Criminal, Treatise Collection KF480 .P47 1998 & Lexis.
The United States Code Annotated (Core-A & Westlaw) and the United States Code Service (Core-A & Lexis) both list many mental health statutes in their General Indexes with the term beginning with the word, "mental." Many Public Laws are also indexed in the United States Code Annotated and United States Code Service's Popular Names Tables (Westlaw & Lexis), again, with terms beginning with the word "mental." Major federal mental health laws include:
- Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 (MHPAEA), Pub. L. 110-343.
- Combating Autism Act of 2006, Pub. L. 109-416.
- The Children's Health Act of 2000, Pub. L. 106-310.
- Mental Health Parity Act of 1996 (MHPA), Pub. L. 104-204.
- ADAMHA Reorganization Act of 1992, Pub. L. 102-321.
- State Comprehensive Mental Health Services Plan, Pub. L. 99-550 (1991).
- Alcohol Abuse Amendments of 1983, Pub. L. 98-24.
- Community Mental Health Centers Extension Act of 1978, Pub. L. 95-622.
- Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA), Pub. L. 93-282 (1974).
- Drug Abuse Office and Treatment Act of 1972, Pub. L. 92-255.
- Comprehensive Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Prevention, Treatment, and Rehabilitation Act, Pub. L. 91-616 (1970).
- Mental Health Amendments of 1967, Pub. L. 90-31.
- Narcotic Addict Rehabilitation Act of 1966, Pub. L. 89-793.
- Social Security Amendments of 1965, Pub. L. 89-97.
- Mental Retardation Facilities and Community Mental Health Centers Construction Act, Pub. L. 88-164 (1963), with amendments Pub. L. 89-105.
- Community Mental Health Act of 1963 (CMHA), Pub. L. 88-164.
- Community Mental Health Centers Act of 1963 (CMHC), Pub. L. 88-164.
- Mental Health Study Act of 1955, Pub. L. 84-182.
- National Mental Health Act, Pub. L. 79-487 (1946).
Both the C.F.R. and Federal Register are in hard copy in the library Reference Collection and on HeinOnline, Westlaw, Lexis Advance. Unofficial information on federal regulation can be obtained through several websites: FDsys, eCFR, federal regulation, and regulation.gov. The title regarding Public Health, Title 42, in particular may be particularly relevant.
Essentials of Florida Mental Health Law: A Straightforward Guide for Clinicians of All Disputes, by Stephen H. Behnke, Bruce J. Winick, and Alina M. Perez, (2000). Florida Collection KFF345.B44 2000.
- Florida Mental Health Act of 1971 ("Baker Act")
- Interstate Compact on Mental Health
- Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
- Community Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
- Involuntary Civil Commitment of Sexually Violent Predators
One way locate cases regarding Mental Health Law in Florida State is the index to the Southern Reporter (Core A).
- Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage, & Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling
- Florida Association for Infant Mental Health
- Florida Department of Children and Families
- Florida Mental Health Counselors Association
- Mental Health Association of Central Florida
- South Florida Behavioral Health Network
- University of South Florida Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute
To find cases, consider looking in a digest such as the Digest of United States Supreme Court Reports (Core A), West's Federal Practice Digest (Core A) under the term Mental Health. The American Bar Association prints the Mental and Physical Disability Law Reporter (Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, & HeinOnline) which contains compiled cases on these topics. In Westlaw a search under Key Number 257A will include only Mental Health related information.
Practice & Current Awareness
- Mental Disabilities & the ADA: A Practitioner's Guide to Employment, Insurance, Treatment, Public Access, & Housing
- Mental Health America provides regularly updated Legislative Priorities
- American Bar Association, Commission on Disability Rights
- Behavioral Sciences & the Law. Anglo-American Periodicals & Online.
- Developments in Mental Health Law: A Quarterly Publication of the University of Virginia Institute of Law, Psychiatry and Public Policy. Westlaw, HeinOnline, & Online.
- Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences. Anglo-American Periodicals, & Online.
- International Journal of Law and Psychiatry. Int'l Collection K9 .N82 & Science Direct.
- Journal of Mental Health Counseling. Westlaw & Online.
- Journal of Mental Health Law. HeinOnline.
- Journal of Psychiatry & Law. Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, , HeinOnline, & Online.
- Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law. Anglo-American Periodicals, , & Online.
- Law & Human Behavior. Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, & APA PsychNET.
- Law & Psychology Review. Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, Lexis, Bloomberg, HeinOnline, & Online.
- Mental and Physical Disability Law Digest. Treatise Collection KF480.A6 M46 (2004-2011).
- Mental and Physical Disability Law Reporter. Anglo-American Periodicals, HeinOnline, & Online.
- Mental Health Law & Policy Journal. HeinOnline.
- Mental Health Law Weekly. Westlaw, & Online.
- Psychiatry, Psychology & Law. Anglo-American Periodicals, HeinOnline, & Online.
- Psychiatry & Psychology Journal. Lexis.
- Psychology, Public Policy & Law, an Official Review of the University of Arizona College of Law and the University of Miami School of Law. Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online.
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Psychological Society, Research in Psychology
- FBI Responding to Persons with Mental Illness.
- Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
- Law Project for Psychiatric Rights, PsychRights
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Rutgers University, The Center for Behavioral Health Services & Criminal Justice Research
- University of Virginia, Institute of Law, Psychiatry, & Public Policy
- World Mental Health Day
Select Books From the UM Law Library
- Civil Mental Disability Law, Evidence, and Testimony: a Comprehensive Reference Manual for Lawyers, Judges, and Mental Disability Professionals, by John Parry, (2010). Treatise Collection KF3828.P37 2010.
- Criminalization of Mental Illness: Crisis & Opportunity for the Justice System, by Risdon N. Slate, Jacqueline K. Buffington-Vollum, & W. Wesley Johnson, (2013). Treatise Collection KF9242.S59 2013.
- Diagnostic and Statistic Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-V, 5th Ed., by American Psychiatric Association, (2013). Treatise Collection RC455.2.C4 D54 2013.
- Emotion, Crime, & Justice, Susanne Karstedt et. al. eds., (2011). Treatise Collection HV6080.E46 2011.
- Ethics of Total Commitment: a Critique of Madness, Citizenship, and Social Justice, by Bruce A. Arrigo, (2011). International Collection K5077.A97 2011.
- Evaluation of Capacity to Consent to Treatment and Research, by Scott Y.H. Kim, (2010). Treatise Collection RA1151.K56 2010.
- International Human Rights and Mental Disability Law: When the Silenced Are Heard, by Michael L. Perlin, (2012). International Collection K640.P47 2012.
- Law and Neuroscience: Current Legal Issues, by Michael Freeman, (2011). Treatise Collection K346.L39 2011.
- Law's Relations: a Rational Theory of Self, Autonomy, and Law, by Jennifer Nedelsky, (2011). Treatise Collection K346.N434 2011.
- Lawyer's Guide to Understanding Psychiatry, by John S. Carbone, (2012). Treatise Collection KF8965.C37 2012.
- Loss of Control and Diminished Responsibility: Domestic, Comparative and International Perspectives, Alan Reed & Michael Bohlander, (2011). International Collection K5077.L67 2011.
- Mental Disability and the Death Penalty: the Shame of the States, by Michael L. Perlin, (2013). Treatise Collection KF9227.C2 P47 2013.
- Mind of the Criminal: the Role of Developmental Social Cognition in Criminal Defense Law, by Reid G. Fontaine, (2012). Treatise Collection KF9242.F64 2012.
- Minds, Brains, and Law: the Conceptual Foundations of Law and Neuroscience, by Michael S. Pardo & Dennis Patterson, (2013). Treatise Collection K346.P36 2013.
- Neuroscience and Legal Responsibility, by Nicole A. Vincent, (2013). Treatise Collection K346.N48 2013.
- A Prescription for Dignity: Rethinking Criminal Justice and Mental Disability Law, by Michael L. Perlin, (2013). Treatise Collection K640.P49 2013.
- Psychology, Law, and the Wellbeing of Children, Monica K. Miller, Jared Chamberlain, & Twila Wingrove eds., (2014). International Collection K639.P79 2014.
- Responsibility and Psychopathy: Interfacing Law, Psychiatry, and Philosophy, by Luca Malatesti & John McMillan, (2010). International Collection RC555.R47 2010.
- Rethinking Rights-Based Mental Health Laws, by Bernadette McSherry & Penelope Weller, (2010). International Collection K640.R48 2010.
- Therapeutic Jurisprudence and Victim Participation in Justice: International Perspectives, by Edna Erez, (2011). International Collection K346.T48 2011.
Other Research Guides
- Civic Research Institute, Practical Guide to Correctional Mental Health and the Law
- Cornell Legal Information Institute, Mental Health Overview.
- Pace Law Library, Mental Health/Psychiatry
- Pepperdine Law Library, Mental Health Law
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Law Library, Mental Health Law: Guides & Handbooks