Last Updated: Sept. 19, 2014. AJB
References to cases, statutes, and other law-related items are often in an abbreviated format. This can make locating cited material difficult for those who are unfamiliar with legal citation formats. Listed below are samples of common citation formats, and a table of translations of some common legal citations along with their locations in the library. Also included are some sources which are helpful when translating legal abbreviations. Below are sample citations.
68 U.S. 455.
8 U.S.C.A. 1101.
Fla. Stat. Ann. 397.705.
97 Stat. 78.
12 C.F.R. 204.
46 U. Miami. L. Rev. 119 (1991).
Cases are often published, or reported, in more than one place. You may see several citations following one case name. These notations of all the reporters in which a case is published are called parallel citations. For example:
United States v. American Library Association, et al., 539 U.S. 194; 123 S. Ct. 2297; 156 L. Ed. 2d 221 (2003).
In such cases you can choose which reporter you wish to use. This is especially important with state cases where you may have to choose between a state reporter and a West Regional Reporter.
Translations of Common Abbreviations
|West's Atlantic Reporter||126 A. 706 (1924).
570 A.2d 716 (1990).
|B.R.||Bankruptcy Reporter||134 B.R. 402 (1991).|
|Cal. Rptr.||West's California Reporter||191 Cal. Rptr. 832 (1971).|
|C.F.R.||Code of Federal Regulations||12 C.F.R. 204 (2014).|
|Federal Reporter||220 F. 383 (1915).
959 F.2d 1011 (1992).
171 F.3d 1364 (1999).
|Fed. Reg.||Federal Register||45 Fed. Reg. 81251 (Dec. 10, 1980).|
|Fla.||Florida Reports||71 Fla. 714 (1916).|
|Fla. Admin. Code. Ann.||Florida Administrative Code Annotated||Fla. Admin. Code Ann. r. 9J-14.006 (1990).|
|Fla. L. Weekly||Florida Law Weekly||31 Fla. L. Weekly D2289a (Sept. 1, 2006).|
|F.R.D.||Federal Rules Decisions||141 F.R.D. 348 (1992).|
F. Supp. 2d
|Federal Supplement||461 F. Supp. 160 (1978).
119 F. Supp. 2d 1288 (2000).
|I. & N. Dec.||Administrative Decisions under the Immigration and Nationality Laws||3 I. & N. Dec. 209 (1950).|
|United States Supreme Court Reports, Lawyer's Edition||89 L.Ed 963 (1945).
92 L.Ed 2d 209 (1986).
|North Eastern Reporter||172 N.E. 540 (1930).
496 N.E.2d 141 (1986).
|North Western Reporter||199 N.W. 410 (1924).
327 N.W. 2d 183 (1982).
|West's New York Supplement||13 N.Y.S. 562 (1880).
58 N.Y.S.2d 140 (1943).
|Pacific Reporter||235 P. 150 (1935).
647 P.2d 697 (1988).
39 P.3d 174 (2002).
|S. Ct.||Supreme Court Reporter||102 S. Ct. 3348 (1982).|
|South Eastern Reporter||200 S.E. 542 (1938).
375 S.E.2d 785 (1988).
|Southern Reporter||87 So. 664 (1921).
431 So.2d 515 (1983).
|Stat.||United States Statutes at Large||34 Stat. 225 (1905).|
|South Western Reporter||257 S.W. 354 (1924).
816 S.W.2d 614 (1991).
|TC||Reports of the United States Tax Court||80 TC 551 (1983).|
Tax Ct. Mem. Dec. (P-H)
|Tax Court Memorandum Decisions||51 T.C.M. (CCH) 477 (1986).
88 T.C.M. (P-H) 397 (1988).
99 T.C.M. (RIA) 287 (1999).
79 Tax Ct. Mem Dec. (P-H) 79.38 (1982).
|U. Miami L. Rev.||University of Miami Law Review||46 U. Miami L. Rev. 119 (1991).|
|U.S.||United States Reports||68 U.S.C. 455.|
|U.S.C.||United States Code||68 U.S.C. 2000(e) (2012).|
|U.S.C.A.||United States Code Annotated||20 U.S.C.A. 1474.|
|U.S.C.S.||United States Code Service||21 U.S.C.S. 331(e).|
Sources That Can Help Translate
- Black's Law Dictionary, Reference Collection & Reserve Collection, Call Number KF156.B53 2014 (includes a table with many legal abbreviations).
- Prince's Dictionary of Legal Citations: A Reference Guide for Attorneys, Legal Secretaries, Paralegals, and Law Students. Reference Collection & Reserve Collection, Call Number KF246.B45 2011.
- Prince's Bieber Dictionary of Legal Abbreviations: A Reference Guide for Attorneys, Legal Secretaries, Paralegals, and Law Students. Reference Collection & Reserve Collection, Call Number KF246.B46 2009.
- Florida Style Manual, Reserve Collection & Reference Collection, Call Number KFF75.F56 2001.
- International Acronyms, Initialisms, & Abbreviations Dictionary, Reference Collection, Call Number P365.I57 2000 (contains meanings and abbreviations for a wide variety of organizations, publications and jargon).
- Citing & Typing the Law: A Guide to Legal Citation & Style, Reserve Collection, Call Number KF245.G6 1992.
- Communicating with Legal Databases: Terms and Abbreviations for the Legal Researcher, Reference Collection, Call Number KF242.A1 M33 1987.
- GovSpeak: A Guide to U.S. Government Acronyms & Abbreviations
- Cardiff Index to Legal Abbreviations A free, web-based service that allows users to search for the meanings of abbreviations in English language legal publications, including those covering international and comparative law. The primary focus is on law reports and periodicals, but some major textbooks and legislative publications may be included as well.