- Law Library Resources
- Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law
The Encyclopedia has over 1000 articles that provide in-depth commentary on public international and comparative law. Encyclopedia articles are fully searchable or browseable using the list of subject or index terms. Content can also be browsed by case name, treaty, geographic area, name of conflict and more. Oxford Law Citator symbol provides links to related case decisions (when available in Oxford Reports on International Law and other parts of the Encyclopedia.
This is a fully searchable database of selected cases in public international law from domestic courts and courts of general jurisdiction around the world. Courts of General Jurisdiction include ICJ, PICJ, PCA and ITLOS. Cases appear in their original language but key passages have been translated into English and all cases have searchable headnotes in English. Also includes commentary on the legal issues in the case and historical and legal context. The Oxford Law Citator links related content available on the service, updates the case and provides additional bibliographic references to outside sources. The components of the service available through this subscription are: Oxford Reports on International Law in Domestic Courts and Oxford Reports on International Law in Courts of General Jurisdiction (ICJ, PICJ, PCA and ITLOS), and International Human Rights Law.
- ASIL Electronic Resource Guide
- EISIL (Amer. Society of Int'l Law)
- GlobaLex International Law Research Guides
- International Law Tab and International Law Practice Area
- Journals and Law Reviews
- U.S. Treaties
- International decisions
- International Law Topic Page
- Journals and Law Reviews
- Hein Online
- Library Catalog
- Oxford Scholarship Online (thru Richter) full text treatises published by Oxford.
- Proquest Ebook Central (thru Richter) e-books full text of treatises
- Mary Ann Glendon, et al., Comparative Legal Traditions: Text, Materials and Cases on Western Law, 3d
- Mary Ann Glendon, Comparative Legal Traditions in a Nutshell, 3d ed
- Claire Germain, Germain's Transnational Law Research: a guide for attorneys
- Marci Hoffman and Mary Rumsey International and Foreign Legal Research: a Coursebook
- Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia
- John Henry Merryman, The Civil Law Tradition: An Introduction to the Legal Systems of Europe and Latin America
- International and Comparative Law Quarterly
- Oxford Journal of Legal Studies
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals - indexes articles from more than 450 legal periodicals from 1985 to the present. The Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals covers international law (public and private), comparative law, and municipal law of countries other than the United States, British Isles, and British Commonwealth.
- United Nations Treaty Collection
- Guide to Researching Travaux Preparatoires (drafting history of treaties)
- United States Department of State Treaty Affairs
- Website that offers Treaties in Force and TIAS (Texts of International Agreements to which the U.S. is a party) Congressional Treaty Documents www.congress.gov
- U.S. Treaties and Agreements Library
- This library includes all U.S. treaties, whether currently in-force, expired, or not-yet officially published. This is the world's largest and most complete online collection of U.S. treaties and agreements and includes such prominent collections as the United States Treaties and Other International Agreements set (commonly referred to as the "Blue set"), as well as famous sets from Bevans, Miller, Malloy and others.
- International Legal Materials (ILM) (available in print and Westlaw, Hein Online, and LexisNexis) text of treaties, protocols, and other international agreements.
- Foreign Law Guide
- Globalex Foreign Law Research Guides
- VLex Global is an extensive collection of current foreign law with a focus on Latin America and Europe. Includes legislation, cases, journals, books, news as well as commentary from practicing lawyers in over 100 jurisdictions.
- Government Gazettes Online - University of Michigan
- JuriGlobe-World Legal Systems
- World Legal Information Institute
- Country-by-Country Guide to Foreign Legal Research from Yale
- Westlaw and Lexis have some materials from selected foreign jurisdictions
Research Guides to Get You Started
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London
- Globalex International and Foreign Law Research Guides
- Berkeley Law Library
- Duke Law - Foreign & Comparative Law
- Jurist legal news written mostly by law professors, separate section for world legal news
- Global Legal Monitor (Law Library of Congress) worldwide legal news.
- ASIL Insights brief news releases related to international law.
- International Law in Brief (ASIL) recent developments in international law, including UN resolutions, cases, and other happenings.
- International Judicial Monitor articles related to international judiciary and justice.
- UN News Centre news about UN activities throughout the world. For more, try the UN Dispatch or sign-up for daily e-mails from the UN Wire
- Prince's Bieber's Dictionary of Legal Abbreviations – in library
- World Dictionary of Legal Abbreviations – in library
- Cardiff Index to Legal Abbreviations - online
- The Bluebook – Rule 20 Foreign Materials, Rule 21 for International Materials, Table T2 Foreign Jurisdictions
- Guide to Foreign and International Legal Citations - book
- Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities - online
- English/Spanish and Spanish/English legal dictionary – This is one example of Foreign language/English legal dictionaries in the library
The Official Document System (ODS) has full-text, born-digital UN documents published from 1993 onward, including documents of the Security Council, the General Assembly, the Economic and Social Council and their subsidiaries, as well as administrative issuances and other documents.
The database also includes scanned documents published between 1946 and 1993, including all resolutions of the principal organs, all documents of the Security Council and the General Assembly Official Records. Documents are available in the official languages of the UN; some documents are also available in German.
- United Nations Treaty Collection (Hein Online)
This collection contains exact reproductions of major United Nations legal publications, including the complete collection of the United Nations Treaty Series, the League of Nations Treaty Series, the Monthly Statement of Treaties & International Agreements, UNCITRAL Publications, UNIDIR Publications, the United Nations Legislative Series and much more. Finding Aids and additional features make it easy to pull up a UN Treaty by entering a UNTS Citation, search for a UN Treaty, and link to law review articles that cite a UN Treaty.
- UN Diplomatic Conferences
- UNIDROIT (conventions, explanatory and preparatory texts)
- Hague Conference on Private International Law
- UNCITRAL (treaty, case law, etc.)
Organization of American States
Through this website you will find the most important documents of the Organization of American States (OAS), including its founding Charter and the Inter-American Democratic Charter. Along with these essential documents, this section also provides links to other key reference material, such as annual reports of the Secretary General, OAS resolutions, agreements, and treaties.
- Europa Official website of the European provides access to official documents, publications, statistics, open data and more resources
EUR-Lex provides access, in the 24 official EU languages, to the authentic Official Journal of the European Union, EU law (EU treaties, directives, regulations, decisions, consolidated legislation, etc.), preparatory acts (legislative proposals, reports, green and white papers, etc.), EU case-law (judgments, orders, etc.), international agreements, EFTA documents, summaries of EU legislation, which put legal acts into a policy context, explained in plain language and other public documents. The database is updated daily with some texts dating back to 1951. EU case law consists of case law from the from the EU Court of Justice, with 1) Judgments and orders including: cases brought by EU institutions, Member States, corporate bodies or individuals against an EU institution or the European Central Bank, cases brought against EU Member States for failing to fulfil their obligations under the EU treaties, national courts' requests for preliminary rulings concerning the validity or interpretation of EU law, and disputes between the EU and its staff, 2) Opinions and views of Advocates General, and 3) Opinions of the Court on draft agreements between the EU and non-EU countries or international organizations
Council of Europe
- Council of Europe Treaty Office
The text of all Council of Europe treaties, their explanatory reports, the status of signatures and ratifications, the declarations and reservations made by States, as well as the notifications issued by the Treaty Office since 2005, are available on this website.
International Court of Justice
- International Court of Justice Official Website
- Documents of the ICJ: Links to the Statute of the Court, Rules of Court, and other documents relating to procedure before the Court.
- Case Database of the ICJ
The Court has a twofold role: to settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted to it by States (Contentious cases) and to give advisory opinions (Advisory proceedings) on legal questions referred to it by duly authorized United Nations organs and specialized agencies. This database contains orders, opinions, filings and transcripts from these proceedings.
- Lexis provides access to ICJ Filings, ICJ Advisory Opinions and ICJ Judgments
- Westlaw provides access to ICJ orders, judgments and advisory opinions with coverage from 1947-2005, with selected coverage after that date.
European Court of Justice
- European Court of Human Rights official website
- European Court of Human Rights HUDOC database
All the Court’s judgments and a large selection of decisions, items of information on communicated cases, consultative opinions, press releases, legal summaries and Commission decisions and reports are published in the HUDOC database.
- Simple Guide to UN Treaty Bodies (for Human Rights) (download)
- e-Resource Guide: International Human Rights (Marci Hoffman) - general guide on resources
- University of Minnesota Human Rights Library - full text of resources, not really being updated
- U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- Centre for Civil and Political Rights - includes the state reports
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights - includes reports, and cases (e.g. merits, friendly settlement)
- Inter-American Court of Human Rights - has the jurisprudence of the court, but not useful searching
- European Court of Human Rights
- U.S. Department of State (Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor) - annual country reports on human rights, also U.S. treaty reports
- Refworld - source for decisions dealing with refugees, and other human rights cases
This database provides the most extensive collection of treaties, national legislation, judicial opinions and arbitral awards from around the world in the field of international commercial arbitration. It also includes leading Kluwer treatises on international arbitration, articles and primary documents. Practitioner tools allow users to create "smart charts" comparing national legislation across specified jurisdictions or arbitral rules from one institution to another.
ICC Dispute Resolution Library
This resource contains ICC dispute resolution awards, the Rules since 1922, the ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin since 1990, the Court of Arbitration statistical reports since 1997, all Commission on Arbitration reports, all ICC publications including the Enforcement Guide and Institute of World Business Law Dossiers, and more. Password for Law School Faculty, Staff, and Students.
Westlaw provides a number of international arbitration materials, including awards, rules, conventions, legislation, model laws, model clauses, practice guides, and secondary sources. These materials can be accessed either using the link above or by typing “international arbitration materials” in the search box on the main Westlaw launch page, and choosing the suggested link when it appears. In addition, Westlaw provides access to another product, Practical Law that provides practitioner oriented content. Practical Law maintains a collection focused on International Arbitration that contains practice notes, expert commentary, checklists, standard documents and clauses, toolkits, and legal updates. These materials can be filtered by topic, resource type, and country.
Provides access to information regarding the New York Convention in general, its history, its interpretation and application by the courts, a bibliography, and other relevant matters such as a "draft" for a revised Convention.
New York Convention Guide
This website was created to host information on the implementation of the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards, signed in New York on 10 June 1958, with a view of promoting its uniform and effective application throughout the world. The website provides access to the case-law from a number of jurisdictions on the application of the Convention by domestic courts as well as information on the ratification of the Convention by selected States. This website was developed by Shearman & Sterling and Columbia Law School, in cooperation with UNCITRAL.
TDM - Transnational Dispute Management
This online service is a portal for news, insight and discussion of new developments in global transnational dispute management. Topics include international commercial arbitration, investment arbitration, mediation, negotiation and conflict avoidance. The service consists of the TDM Journal plus selected articles from other journals since 2004. There is also a growing collection of investment awards, laws, regulations and other sources of law. OGEMID (oil gas energy infrastructure and investment disputes) is an internet-based intelligence service and discussion group. The OGEMID archive is searchable on TDM.
Foreign Law Guide
This database is a comprehensive guide to the sources of law and legal systems of most countries, along with titles and links to primary and secondary sources. The Guide also has a subject listing which provides laws, and English translations, if available, for each subject. Once in the guide, choose the “Laws by Subject” tab, and select “Arbitration and Mediation”. You can then choose your target jurisdiction.
International Institute for the Unification of Private Law UNIDROIT
UNIDROIT website provide access to conventions, explanatory and preparatory texts.
United Nations Commission on International Trade Law UNCITRAL
Website provides access to relevant treaties, case law, GA resolutions, and other relevant documents.
Investor State Materials
Investor State Law Guide
Investor State Law Guide is an online database designed for researching investment treaty law. Research tools such as the Subject Navigator, Treaty Article Citator, Jurisprudence Citator and Full Text Search take you directly to where specific issues and sub-issues are dealt with by tribunals in decisions and awards. Terms and Phrases allows you to find decisions and awards defining or discussing the law related to terms in treaties or commonly used in investment law. The full-text of treaties and arbitral rules are also included. To access the database, click on the Log In button in the top right of the screen. Does not work with Google Chrome.
UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) IIA Databases
International Investment Agreements Navigator http://investmentpolicyhub.unctad.org/IIA/IiasByCountry
The IIA Navigator is a free International Investment Agreements database. It contains more than 3,400 treaties and model agreements, and allows for advanced searches by type of agreement, geographical region, country grouping, treaty status, full text, and treaty language. This Database is primarily built on information provided by governments on a voluntary basis. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of its content, UNCTAD assumes no responsibility for eventual errors or omissions in these data. In the event of doubt regarding the content of the Database, it is suggested that you contact the relevant government department of the State(s) concerned.
Investment Settlement Dispute Navigator http://investmentpolicyhub.unctad.org/isds
The Investment Dispute Settlement Navigator is a comprehensive and regularly updated collection of treaty-based international arbitrations between investors and States. It contains essential information about each case and offers many user-friendly tools for searching and filtering the data.
IBFD Tax Research Platform - International tax treaties and country by country analysis and comparisons of tax laws for most jurisdictions of the world. Also includes case law on tax treaties, and EU direct taxation cases. Includes the following journals: Bulletin for International Taxation, European Taxation, World Tax Journal and Derivatives and Financial Instruments.
Checkpoint is a comprehensive tax research system including International products. It also includes international tax treaties,WG & L journals and journal previews. Tax and Commercial Laws of the World includes English translations of foreign Income and Corporate Tax Law, Commercial Codes and selected other laws affecting financial transactions. (Link sometimes does not work with Chrome browser).
*Tax Notes from Tax Analysts - includes Worldwide Tax Daily, Worldwide Tax Treaties and the Federal Research Tax Library. Law School faculty, students and staff can register for online delivery of any or all of the daily newsletters to their law school e-mail address Tax Notes includes a searchable archive back to 1987 and Tax Treaties going back to 1828.