The Florida Constitution gives the Supreme Court the power to make court rules and the legislature the power to repeal them. It says "The Supreme Court shall adopt rules for the practice and procedure in all courts. Rules of court may be repealed by general law enacted by two thirds vote of the membership of each house of the legislature." Fla. Const. art. V, §2(a). New state rules are published in the Southern Reporter 2d in volumes that have the words Court Rules on the binding. This research guide deals with the finding of court rules as promulgated by the Supreme Court. To find other print collections of rules and commentary on the rules, check Baron, the Online Catalog, under the LC (Library of Congress) subject heading, Court Rules - Florida. For Federal Court Rules go to the research guide on Federal Court Rules.
Florida Rules of Court
- Unannotated Rules of Court:
- Annotated Rules of Court:
- West's Florida Statutes Annotated contains rules of court. Florida, Reference & States Collections & Westlaw.
- LexisNexis Florida Rules of Court Annotated. Florida Collection KFF529.A23 & Lexis.
Approved amendments to rules of court are published on the Florida Supreme Court Website.
Florida State Procedure Rules
- Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure. (Florida Collection KFF529.A214, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online)
- Florida Rules of Civil Procedure. (Reserve Collection KFF529.A314 A2, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure. (Florida Collection KFF529.A214, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Florida Rules of Family Law Procedure. (Reserve & Florida Collection KFF94.5 .F4, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Florida Rules of Judicial Administration. (Florida Collection KFF529.A214, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Florida Rules of Juvenile Procedure. (Florida Collection KFF596.A33, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Florida Rules of Probate Procedure (Reserve Collection KFF144.A29 F58, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online),
- Florida Rules of Small Claims Procedure. (Florida Collection KFF510.A39 F56, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Florida Rules of Traffic Court Procedure. (Florida Collection KFF529.A214, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Rules of Florida Standard Jury Instructions in Civil Cases. (Reserve & Florida Collections KFF542.A65 F55, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Rules of Florida Standard Jury Instructions in Criminal Cases. (Reserve & Florida Collections KFF583.A65 F5, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- Rules Regulating the Florida Bar. (Florida Collection KFF76.5.A2 A162 2004, Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
- The Supreme Court of Florida Manual of Internal Operating Procedures, (1978). (Annex KFF555.F45 [See Notes Section], Westlaw, Lexis, & Online).
Rules of Federal Courts
For Federal Court Rules go to the Federal Court Rules Guide.
An unannotated copy of the Federal Rules can be found in the Florida Rules of Court: Federal, (1987-current). Reserve, Reference, & Florida Collections KFF529.A24. This book includes local court rules, the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure, Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals Rules and Internal Operating Procedure, and other federal court rules. Local rules of federal non-Florida as well as Florida courts are contained in Federal Local Court Rules, 3rd Ed. (2001-current). Reference Collection KF8816.A193. This seven volume set gives the local rules of district courts, alphabetically by state, as well as local rules for federal circuit courts of appeal but not of the U.S. Supreme Court. Florida District Courts' rules are in volume 2. Rules for the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals are in volume 7.
Books on Florida Rules From the UM Law Library
- Florida Civil Procedure Handbook, by Minnette M. Massey, (1973). Florida Collection & Archives KFF530 .M38
- Florida Common Law Pleading, Practice, and Procedure: With Forms, Table of Cases and the Revised Common Law Rules, by Florida Bar Association, (1940). Florida Collection & Annex KFF535.C3 1940.
- Florida Criminal Procedure Service: General Provisions, Rules 3.010-3.115, by John F. Yetter, (1992). Florida Collection KFF575.A6 Y37.
- Florida Criminal Rules and Practice, by Florida Bar Association, (1990). Annex KFF575 .F56 1990.
- Florida Criminal and Traffic Court Rules of Procedure, by , (Year). Collection KFF575.A432 A19 2009.
- Rules of Court Service: Civil Procedure, Criminal Procedure, Florida Appellate, Probate and Guardianship Procedure, Florida Traffic Court, Summary Claims Procedure, Federal, Florida Bar, Future Rules, (1972-current update). Reserve Collection KFF529.F46.
- Trawick's Florida Practice and Procedure, by Henry P. Trawick, (1978-current update). Annex, Reserve, & Florida Collections KFF530.T73.
- Trawick's Florida Practice and Procedure: Forms, by Henry P. Trawick, Jr, (1991-current update). Annex, Reserve, & Florida Collections KFF530.T731.