For those unfamiliar with arbitration, a secondary source is a good way to get started. Consider consulting a preeminent treatise such as:
- ADR & the Law, by the American Arbitration Association (2005). Treatise Collection, KF9085.A15 A52
- International Commercial Arbitration, by Gary B. Born, 2d Ed. Treatise Collection K2400 .B673 2014 & Westlaw
- Domke on Commercial Arbitration, by Martin Domke, 3rd Ed. Treatise Collection, KF9085 .D6 & Westlaw
The Uniform Arbitration Act of 1956, was passed by a number of states including Florida. In 2000 the uniform law was revised and is now known as the Revised Uniform Arbitration Act (RUAA) which has also been adopted by a number of states. The RUAA is available on both Westlaw & Lexis. The United Nations Commission on International Trade Law also developed a Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration.
Treaties, Agreements, and Conventions
Treaties are available in print (International Arbitration Treaties, Looseleaf K2400.A35 I58), Lexis, Westlaw, Kluwer Arbitration, HeinOnline. International Conventions are available on Lexis, Kluwer Arbitration, and some are available on HeinOnline. Below are select treaties and conventions related to arbitration but more can be found at the resources above:
- The 2005 Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements; See also, The 2005 Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements: Commentary and Documents, by Ronald A. Brand & Paul Herrup. International Collection, K7625 .B735 2008.
- 1975 Inter-American Convention on International Commercial Arbitration, ("Panama Convention"). Lexis, Kluwer, & Online.
- The European Convention on International Commercial Arbitration of 1961
- United Nations Convention on Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards of 1958 ("New York Convention"). Lexis, Kluwer & Online; see also Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards: Summary Analysis of Record of United Nations Conference, by G. W. Haight (May/June 1958). Int'l Collection K2400.A33 H3.
- Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes Between States and Nationals of Other States ("Washington Convention") Kluwer & Online
- See also Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes Between States and Nationals of Other States: Analysis of Documents Concerning the Origin and the Formulation of the Convention, Int'l Collection HG4538.C65x
- See also The ICSID Convention: A Commentary: A Commentary on the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes Between States and Nationals of Other States, by Christoph H. Schreuer (2009). Int'l Collection K3834.A41965 S37 2009
- AAA Consumer Arbitration Awards: Lexis
- Intellectual Property Arbitration
- International Arbitration
- Lexis: International Arbitration: Mealey's Litigation Report
- Westlaw: Permanent Court of Arbitration, International Chamber of Commerce ("ICC") International Court of Arbitration, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, International Centre for Settlement of Disputes & International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration
- Labor & Employment Arbitration
- Maritime Arbitration
- Securities Arbitration
National & International Organizational Rules
- International Arbitration Rules (Online)
- Commercial Arbitration Rules (Westlaw & Bloomberg)
- Labor Arbitration Rules (Westlaw, Bloomberg, & Online)
- Employment Arbitration Rules (Westlaw, Bloomberg, & Online)
- Construction Arbitration Rules (Westlaw & Online)
- Consumer Arbitration Rules (Westlaw & Online)
International Arbitration Institute (Not Available)
- Kluwer Arbitration
- World Trade Law
- Transnational Dispute Management
- Oxford Reports of International Law Settlement of Disputes
- Full-texts of selected scholarly writings on the CISG and the UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts and the Principles of European Contract Law
- Westlaw has a collection of arbitration materials that includes domestic arbitration awards, cases, rules, arbitrator materials, arbitrator profiles and international awards and rules. Westlaw also provides a list of resources for international arbitration.
Practice & Current Awareness
- Westlaw Practical Law has a section on International Arbitration.
- Arbitration Clauses for International Contracts, by Paul D. Friedland, 2nd Ed. (2007). Int'l Collection, K2400 .F75 2007
- Fairweather's Practice & Procedure in Labor Arbitration, by Ray J. Schoonhoven, 4th Ed., (1999). Treatise Collection, KF3424 .F35 1999 & Bloomberg.
- Guide to ICSID Arbitration, by Lucy Reed, Jan Paulsson, & Nigel Blackaby, (2011). Int'l Collection, K3834 .R44 2011.
- Handbook on International Arbitration & ADR, ed. Thomas E. Carbonneau, (2006). Int'l Collection, K2400 .H352 2006.
- How to Prepare and Present a Labor Arbitration Case, by Charles S. Loughran, 2nd Ed., (2006). Treatise Collection, KF3544 .L68 2006 & Bloomberg.
- Human Rights in International Investment Law and Arbitration, ed. P.M. Dupuy, F. Francioni, & E.U. Petersmann, (2009). Int'l Collection, Int'l Collection K3830 .H86 2009.
- International Arbitration and Forum Selection Agreements: Drafting, and Enforcing, by Gary B. Born, (2016). Int'l Collection, K2400 .B67 2016.
- Labor Agreement in Arbitration and Negotiation, by Arnold M. Zack & Richard I. Bloch, (1995). Treatise Collection, KF3408.Z3 1995 & Bloomberg.
- Labor Arbitration: A Practical Guide for Advocates ed. Max Zimny, William F. Dolson, & Christopher A. Barreca, (1990). Treatise Collection, KF3424 .L324 1990 & Bloomberg.
- Labor Arbitration: Cases and Materials for Advocates, by William F. Dolson, Max Zimny, & Christopher A. Barreca, (1997). Bloomberg.
- Practicing Law Institute, American Arbitration: Principles and Practice, by Robert B. von Mehren, Steven J. Burton, & George W. Coombe, Jr., (2008). Treatise Collection, KF9085.A6 V66.
- American Review of International Arbitration. Int'l Collection, K1 .M54, Westlaw, & Lexis.
- Arbitration International. Int'l Collection, K1 .R25 & HeinOnline.
- ASA Bulletin. Kluwer & HeinOnline.
- Dispute Resolution Journal. Periodicals & Westlaw.
- Arbitration in 55 Jurisdictions Worldwide. Int'l Collection K2400 .A726 2011.
- ICC International Court of Arbitration Bulletin. Int'l Collection, K9 .C32
- International Arbitration Law Review. Int'l Collection, K9 .N725 & Westlaw.
- Journal of Dispute Resolution. Periodicals, Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline.
- Journal of International Arbitration. Int'l Collection, K10.O9 I58, Kluwer, & HeinOnline.
- Journal of Law and Commerce. Periodicals, Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline.
- Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution. Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline
- Pepperdine Dispute Resolution Law Journal. Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline
- Revue de L'Arbitrage Int'l Collection, Kluwer.
- Review of the Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, Int'l Collection, K1028.3198 .R48.
- Swiss International Arbitration Law Report. Int'l Collection, K2400.A53 S93.
- Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law & Arbitration. Westlaw.
- Willamette Journal of International Law and Dispute Resolution. Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline.
- ITA Law (international awards, and related documents)
- International Investment Agreements Navigator (UNCTAD)
- Investment Treaty News
- International Institute for Sustainable Development Information on Arbitration Rules
- UNCITRAL Working Group Two is a group working to increase transparency in International Arbitration.
Select Books From the UM Law Library
- Applicable Law in Investor-State Arbitration: The Interplay Between National and International Law, by Hege Elisabeth Kjos (2013). Int'l Collection K3830.K58 2013.
- Arbitration in a Nutshell, by Thomas E. Carbonneau, 3rd. Ed., (2012). KF9085.Z9 C37 2012.
- Arbitration Insights: Twenty Years of the Annual Lecture of the School of International Arbitration, by Alphen aan den Rijn (2007). Int'l Collection, K2400.A73 2007
- Arbitration of Commercial Disputes: International and English Law and Practice, by Andrew Tweeddale, (2007). Int'l Collection K2390.T84 2005.
- Arbitration World: Jurisdictional Comparisons, by Karyl Nairn & Patrick Heneghan, 4th Ed., (2012). Int'l Collection K2400.A974 2012.
- The Art of Advocacy in International Arbitration, ed. Doak Bishop & Edward G. Kehoe. Int'l Collection, K2400 .A975 2010
- The Baker & McKenzie International Arbitration Yearbook (2013). Int'l Collection, K2400 .B35.
- Bias Challenges in International Commercial Arbitration: The Need for a 'Real Danger Test', by Sam Lattrel (2009). Int'l Collection K2400.L88 2009.
- Building the Civilization of Arbitration, Wildy, Simmonds & Hill, (2010). Int'l Collection K2400.B85 2010.
- Choice of Venue in International Arbitration, ed. Michael Ostrove & Claudia T Salomon, (2014). Int'l Collection K2400 .C56 2014.
- Class, Mass, and Collective Arbitration in National and International Law, by Stacie Strong (2013). Int'l Collection, K2400.S8725 2013.
- Commercial Arbitration and the Law, by Julius Henry Cohen (1918). Treatise Collection KF9085.C63 & Making of Modern Law.
- Corruption in International Trade and Commercial Arbitration, by Abdulhay Sayed (2004). Int'l Collection K2400 .S29 2004
- Federal Dispute Resolution: Using ADR with the United States Government, by Jeffrey M. Senger, KF5417 .S46
- The Future of Investment Arbitration ed. Catherine A. Rogers & Roger P. Alford, (2009). Int'l Collection K3834 .F88 2009
- How Arbitration Works, Frank Elkouri & Edna Asper Elkouri, 6th Ed., (2016). Treatise Collection, KF3424 .E53 2016 & Bloomberg.
- The Idea of Arbitration, by Jan Paulson (2013). Int'l Collection KZ6115 .P38 2013
- Inside the Minds Alternative Dispute Resolution: Leading Lawyers on the Art & Science of Arbitration Mediation, & More, (2004). Int'l Collection K2400 .I575 2004.
- International Arbitral Jurisdiction, by Chittharanjan Felix Amerasinghe, (2011). Int'l Collection KZ6115 .A46 2011.
- International Arbitration and the Permanent Court of Arbitration, by Manuel Indlekofer (2013). Int'l Collection KZ6170 .I53 2013 .
- Labor and Employment Arbitration, ed. Tim Bornstein, Ann Gosline & Marc Greenbaum, 2d Ed. (1997). Treatise Collection, KF3424.L3 1997
- Labor and Employment Arbitration in a Nutshell, Nolan, 2d Ed. (2017). Reserve Collection, KF3425 .N638 2017
- The Leading Arbitrators' Guide to International Arbitration, by Lawrence Newman & Richard D. Hill, (2008). Int'l Collection, K2400.L42 2008 (2nd Ed.).
- Lowenfeld on International Arbitration: Collected Essays Over Three Decades, by Andreas F. Lowenfeld (2005). Int'l Collection K2400.Z9 L68 2005.
- Parallel State and Arbitral Procedures in International Arbitration, by Bernardo M. Cremades & Julian D.M. Lew. Int'l Collection, K7690.P37 2005
- The Practice of Arbitration: Essays in Honour of Hans van Houtteeds. Patrick Wautelet, Thalia Kruger & Govert Coppens, (2012). Int'l Collection, K2400 .P73 2012.
- Principles of Alternative Dispute Resolution, by Stephen J. Ware (2016). Reserve Collection, KF9084.W367 2016.
- Public Health in International Investment Law and Arbitration, by Valentina Vadi (2012). Int'l Collection, K3570 .V33 2012.
- Trade, Aid and Arbitrate: The Globalization of Western Law, by Ronald Charles Wolf (2004). Int'l Collection K3943 .W65 2003.
- World Arbitration Reporter: International Encyclopaedia of Arbitration Law and Practice, ed. Loukas Mistelis & Laurence Shore (1986). Int'l Collection K2400 .W672.
Other Research Guides
Last Updated July 2018 BTA.