Last Updated: Oct. 2, 2014. AJB
Animal law includes farm animals, companion animals and even marine animals such as those that have been harmed by oil spills. The law recognizes animals only as property regardless of the emotional value of companion animals.
Animals and the Law: A Sourcebook, by Jordan Curnutt, (2001). Treatise Collection, KF390.5.A5 C87 2001
Periodicals and Books are also a good place to start.
The following are selected statutes regarding Animal Law. Additional state and federal statutes with links are available through the Michigan State University College of Law Animal Legal & Historical Center.
- Animal Welfare Act of 1966 (AWA), also called Laboratory Animal Act of 1966, Pub. L. No. 89-544
- Endangered Species Act of 1973, Pub. L. No. 93-205.
- Endangered Species Conservation Act of 1969, Pub. L. No. 89-669.
- Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act (FWCA) (Wildlife Conservation Act), 16 U.S.C. 661-667e (1934).
- Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act (Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration) (Wild Life Restoration Act) 50 Stat. 917 (1937).
- Prevention of Interstate Commerce in Animal Crush Videos Act of 2010, Pub. L. No. 111-294.
- Wild Bird Conservation Act of 1992, Pub. L. No. 102-440.
- Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burrow Act (Wild Horses Act), Pub. L. No. 92-195 (1971).
Links to pending state and federal laws are on the Michigan State University College of Law Animal Legal & Historical Center. The Florida State Bar Association Animal Law Committee releases a bi-annual newsletter containing current awareness information.
- Alliance for Animals
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS), Animal Law Committee
- American Humane Association
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
- Animal Concerns Community
- Animal Legal Defense Fund
- Animal Liberation Front
- Animal Welfare Institute
- Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC)
- Humane Society of the United States
- International Institute for Animal Law
- Johns Hopkins University Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing
- Lewis & Clark Law School Center for Animal Law Studies (CALS)
- Michigan State University College of Law Animal Legal & Historical Center
- National Anti-Vivisection Society (NAVS)
- National Association for Biomedical Research (NABR) Animal Law Section
- National District Attorney's Association National Center for the Prosecution of Animal Abuse
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
- United States Agricultural Library Animal Welfare Information Center
- United States National Institutes of Health, Grants, and Funding Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
- United States National Institutes of Health Office of Animal Care and Use (OACU)
Practice & Current Awareness
- Animal Law. Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline.
- Journal for Critical Animal Studies. Online.
- Journal of Animal and Environmental Law, University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law. Westlaw, Online.
- Journal of Animal Law and Ethics. Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline.
- Journal of Animal and Natural Resources Law (formerly Journal of Animal Law). Anglo-American Periodicals, Westlaw, HeinOnline.
- Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences. Westlaw & Lexis.
- Kentucky Journal of Equine, Agriculture, and Natural Resources Law (formerly Journal of Natural Resources and Environmental Law). Anglo-American Periodicals.
- Stanford Journal of Animal Law and Policy. Westlaw, Lexis, & HeinOnline.
Select Books From the UM Law Library
- Animal Factory: The Looming Threat of Industrial Pig, Dairy, and Poultry Farms to Humans and the Environment, by David Kirby (2010). Treatise Collection, TD195.A34 K57 2010.
- Animal Harm: Perspectives on Why People Harm and Kill Animals, by Angus Nurse (2013). International Collection, K3620.N87 2013.
- Animal Law in a Nutshell, by Pamela D. Frasch, et al (2011). Reserve Collection, KF390.5.A5 A75 2011.
- Animal Law: Welfare Protection and Advocacy, David S. Favre (2008). Treatise Collection, KF390.5.A5 F382 2008.
- Before the Law: Humans and Other Animals in a Biopolitical Frame, by Cary Wolfe (2013). Treatise Collection, HV4708.W654 2013.
- Confronting Animal Abuse: Law Criminology, and Human Relationships, by Piers Beirne, (2009). International Collection, K3620.L39 2009.
- Death on a Factory Farm: Animal Rights on Trial, (2009). Reserve AV, V4708.D43 2009.
- Globalization and Animal Law: Comparative Law, International Law and International Trade, by Thomas G. Kelch (2011). International Collection, K3620.K45 2011.
- The Lawyer's Guide to Dangerous Dog Issues, ed. Joan E. Schaffner (2009). Treatise Collection KF390.5.D6 L39 2009.
- Unleashed Fury: The Political Struggle for Dog-Friendly Parks, by Julie Walsh (2011). Treatise Collection, KF390.5 D6 W35 2011.
- Wildlife Law: A Primer, by Eric T. Freyfogle & Dale D. Goble (2009). Treatise Collection, KF5640.F74 2009.
- Zooland: The Institution of Captivity, by Irus Bravernan (2013). Treatise Collection, QL76.5 N7 B73 2012.
Other Research Guides
- Animal Law Caucus
- Library of Congress Blog, An Introduction to Animal Law
- Animals Confined for Human Benefit: A Research Guide, by Stefanie S. Pearlman and Melissa M. Serfass (2012). Treatise Collection. KF241.A55 P43 2012
- Georgetown Law Animal Law Research Guide & International and Foreign Animal Law Research Guide
- Harvard Animal Law Guide
- Law and Technology Resources for Legal Professionals Animal Rights in the Human Legal System
- Research Guide to International Animal Law, by Candace Simonson, Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad Law Center (2008) (PDF).
- Santa Clara Law Library Animal Law Guide
- UCLA Animal Law Research Guide
- Vermont Law School Animal Law Research Guide
- Villanova University Animal Law Pathfinder
- Careers in Animal Law: Welfare, Protection, and Advocacy, by Yolanda Einstein, American Bar Association Law Practice Management Section Law Student Division (2011). Treatise Collection, KF299.A55 E37 2011.
- Animal Legal Defense Fund, How Legal Professionals Can Get Involved in Animal Law