Dean and Professor of Law Patricia D. White has started an array of new initiatives during her leadership and was named the most influential woman in legal education by the National Jurist in 2012 and also named to the same top-25 listing in their 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 editions. Recent initiative highlights include:
New Innovative Short Courses
Taught by experts from around the world, Miami Law offers innovative compressed courses.
More Interdisciplinary Joint Degrees
- J.D./M.A. in Latin American Studies
- J.D./LL.M. in Entertainment, Arts & Sports in International Arbitration and in Estate Planning
- J.D./M.A. in Arts Presenting & Live Entertainment Management
- J.D./M.S.Ed. in Science in Education in Law, Community and Social Change
- J.D./Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Policy
- J.D./Masters in Music Business and Entertainment Industries
- J.D./Masters in Communications
- J.D./M.P.A. in Law and Public Administration
- J.D./M.D. program in Law and Medicine
- As well as triple degree offerings for undergraduate business majors – J.D./M.B.A./ LL.M. in Taxation, Estate Planning, or Real Estate/Property Development – which can be earned in just four years.
More Practice-Ready, Hands-On Training
Other programs with hands-on training that have been started include:
- A Startup Practicum and Practicums in the Death Penalty, Civil Rights and Cyber Civil Rights
- MiamiLex the revolutionary alliance with UnitedLex, a leading global provider of legal support and technology services
- A greatly expanded externship program
- Legal Communication and Research Skills course to guide students in conducting sophisticated legal analysis and drafting legal documents geared to the reality of practice.
- A Concentration in Litigation and Dispute Resolution for students thinking seriously about becoming a litigator/trial lawyer.
- A Concentration in Social Justice & Public Interest and the Business of Innovation, Law and Technology
- For students interested in public service and pro bono advocacy Dean White has added clinics in Environmental Justice, Immigration, Human Rights, Health Rights, and Investor Rights
Increased International Exchange Offerings
If learning more about international law is of interest, Miami has added several new study abroad options in Versailles, France; Berlin and Hamburg, Germany; Zurich, Switzerland; Haifa, Israel; Dublin, Ireland; Spain; China; and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
More Innovative Programs and Conferences
In terms of innovative courses, Miami Law boasts LawWithoutWalls™ and an interdisciplinary Hospital Course and #BlackLivesMatter course – offerings that provide a multidisciplinary perspective to complex issues. Further Dean White actively supports Miami's LL.M. in International Arbitration (headed by one of the world's most powerful international arbitrators, Jan Paulsson). In 2012 Professor Michael Foomkin launched the We Robot conference - now the most exciting interdisciplinary conference on the legal and policy questions relating to robots. The Hoffman Forum began in 2015 to convene thought leaders to discuss significant public policy issues. Thus far forums have been held in New York City at The Museum of Modern Art, the Morgan Library and the Whitney Museum of Art.
Expanded Commitment to Students' Well Being
- In Miami's Student Development Program staff members (all of whom hold law degrees) connect with law students individually and work with them one-on-one to find greater success, satisfaction, and happiness during their law school years.
- In the AskUs Program post-graduate fellows are available to answer student questions about Miami Law and to implement new programs, systems and services to better the law student experience.
- Miami Law is also the first law school in the country to establish a Mindfulness in Law Program as part of a commitment to providing students with the tools to maintain a fulfilling work-life balance.