If you are a J.D. student interested in delving deeper into an area of law, obtaining an LL.M. in Ocean and Coastal Law is a way to distinguish yourself and gain a decided advantage. This option not only provides specialization, but also saves time and tuition money over earning the degrees separately.
The Ocean and Coastal LL.M. seeks to prepare students in the domestic and international legal problems associated with the use and protection of the marine environment. Along with our outstanding faculty, the city of Miami is an ideal location for our students to explore this area of law.
1. Application Form: Please submit a completed application form. Students may only apply through paper form. Paper applications and any supporting documents should be dropped off directly to the Office of International Graduate Law Programs, Room A316.
2. Statement of Purpose: Submit a statement of purpose of approximately 500 words. Please address your academic and professional background, your professional goals, specific areas of interest, and other matters which you think are of importance. The statement of purpose is to be prepared by you without any outside help and is to contain a statement to that effect. We recommend that you summarize your professional background in a résumé or curriculum vitae submitted separately.
3. Miami Law School Transcripts: An official transcript should be requested from the Registrar's Office and dropped off at the Office of International Graduate Law Programs, A316.
4. One Letter of Recommendation: One letter of recommendation preferably from a Miami Law professor stating in detail his/her opinion of your qualifications for graduate law study.
5. Please note the $50 application fee is waived for UM J.D. students.
Are you business minded? Our triple degree program may be for you.
Miami Law has created a new offering: The possibility of obtaining three degrees – a J.D., an LL.M. in Tax or Real Property Development, and an M.B.A. – in only four years. Read more
For joint Master's and Doctoral degrees*, please contact Sandra Abraham, Executive Liaison for Interdisciplinary Programs and Initiatives.
* For additional information on joint JD/LLM programs, please see respective program pages for contact information.