For J.D. students interested in delving deeper into an area of law, obtaining an LL.M. in International Law is a way to gain a decided advantage. This option not only provides specialization, but also saves time and tuition money over earning the degrees separately.
Within the International Law LL.M. we offer specializations in Inter-American Law and International Law (general) which are primarily for those seeking to advance their legal knowledge in the areas of law pertaining to, respectively, Latin America or International Law more generally.
1. Application Form: Please submit a completed application form. Students may only apply through paper form. Paper applications and any supporting documents should be dropped off directly to the Office of International Graduate Law Programs, Room A316.
2. Statement of Purpose: Submit a statement of purpose of approximately 500 words. Please address your academic and professional background, your professional goals, specific areas of interest, and other matters which you think are of importance. The statement of purpose is to be prepared by you without any outside help and is to contain a statement to that effect. We recommend that you summarize your professional background in a résumé or curriculum vitae submitted separately.
3. Miami Law School Transcripts: An official transcript should be requested from the Registrar's Office and dropped off at the Office of International Graduate Law Programs, A316.
4. One Letter of Recommendation: One letter of recommendation preferably from a Miami Law professor stating in detail his/her opinion of your qualifications for graduate law study.
5. Please note the $50 application fee is waived for UM J.D. students.
Are you business minded? Our triple degree program may be for you.
Miami Law has created a new offering: The possibility of obtaining three degrees – a J.D., an LL.M. in Tax or Real Property Development, and an M.B.A. – in only four years. Read more
For joint Master's and Doctoral degrees*, please contact Sandra Abraham, Executive Liaison for Interdisciplinary Programs and Initiatives.
* For additional information on joint JD/LLM programs, please see respective program pages for contact information.