Miami Law now has an exchange program with the Instituto Empresa (IE) which has an undergraduate campus in Segovia (LLB program) and a graduate program (LLM) in Madrid. This one-semester exchange opportunity:
- Exists for up to two upper level J.D. students who can select either the LLB program or the LLM program.
- Takes place during either the fall term, from September to January or the spring term from January to July.
- Offers the LLB program in Segovia (taught in English).
- Offers one graduate program in International Legal Practice in Madrid (taught in English).
- Enables course credits earned at the Instituto Empresa to count toward the J.D. degree.
The Law School
Since 1973 IE Law School has been preparing international lawyers. IE Law School is recognized as one of the top law schools in Europe, and has been listed for the second consecutive year among the best law schools worldwide in the Financial Times' Global Legal Education 2010 Report.
About the University and Segovia
IE University's beautiful medieval campus is in the city of Segovia, located just 25 minutes from Madrid and its international airport by high speed train. Segovia is renowned for its Gothic and Romanesque art and architecture, particularly its castle "El Alcazar" and Roman aqueduct. Segovia's location allows easy access to the capital and numerous cultural and sporting activities around Spain and abroad. Segovia is perfect for taking pleasant walks through the city's streets on sunny days, and for soaking up the atmosphere of its numerous outdoor cafés and bars.
About the University and Madrid
Madrid is the capital of Spain and is the center of political, government and financial life. The largest Spanish companies and major multinational corporations have their headquarters in the city, which make it an ideal location to conduct global business. Madrid is a magnet for foreign investment as well as wonderful culture, cuisine and nightlife. A majority of business activity takes place in the heart of the city in the Paseo de la Castellana which is the location of IE University's Madrid campus.
To Apply Please Provide
- A short letter (1-2 pages) stating the reasons for interest;
- A listing of significant international experience (growing up in a foreign country, work in the Peace Corps, the military or business, studying for a semester or more abroad), and/or extensive academic training in international relations, international business, area studies, or related fields;
- A copy of one’s CV; and
- Law school GPA and grades in relevant courses, or a copy of law school transcript.
Information must be received at the latest by April 1st for fall semester and October 1st for spring semester. Applications should be sent to Sandy Abraham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition, Fees, Social Events & Housing
Students pay tuition and other required fees to the University of Miami. Miami Law students pay no tuition or fees to IE except for certain social events and discretionary fees. Students should expect to live off-campus. The IE University Student Office can provide advice on both renting and family-living options.
For More Information
Questions about the program should be directed to:
Executive Liaison for Interdisciplinary Programs