What is the Academic Achievement Program?
The Academic Achievement Program (AAP) helps students develop analytical and examination skills for law school success. It is a collaborative effort involving the University of Miami School of Law administration, faculty, and students. The AAP has the following major components:
Dean's Fellow Study Groups
Dean's Fellow Study Groups offer first-year students a chance to participate in a weekly study group for a specific class, and the group is facilitated by a Dean's Fellow — an upper-level (2L or 3L) student who excelled academically in that class.
Benefits/Features of the Dean's Fellow Program:
- Dean's Fellows are trained to use interactive learning exercises geared toward different learning styles.
- The Dean's Fellow works with the professor, attends all classes, and facilitates two separate weekly study group sessions.
- These groups allow students to become acclimated to the study of law and to interact with their fellow students in a relaxed atmosphere.
Writing Dean's Fellows
The Academic Achievement Program Writing Dean's Fellows are available to meet with all law students on an individual basis at the Career Development Office. Writing Dean's Fellows assist students with organization, structure, style, Blue Book citation, grammar, and composition. They also assist students with cover letters, writing samples, case briefs and outlines, as well as papers for seminar classes. Writing Dean's Fellows may not review Legal Communication and Research Skills (LComm) class assignments in draft or final form. No appointments are necessary to meet with a Writing Dean's Fellow.
The AAP presents various workshops and seminars throughout the year to help students succeed in law school. Pay attention to your email for details about dates and times.
Bar Preparation Programs
The University of Miami School of Law is committed to our students' success on the bar exam. The AAP coordinates and presents a variety of programs to help students prepare for this difficult exam. Key components of our programs include:
- Bar Week: A series of panels, workshops, and informational sessions about bar exam logistics, preparation, and application issues.
- Bar Boot Camp: An exclusive supplemental bar preparation program for University of Miami School of Law graduates. Weekly workshop sessions include lectures on critical skills for exam success, and review of key Florida subjects and rules.
- Bar Coaching: After graduation, all Miami Law graduates have the opportunity to work individually with a "bar coach", who will provide personalized guidance throughout the bar study process.
Advice For Law School Success
For detailed advice about examination skills, watch this video from Professor Marc Fajer: