The Joint J.D./LL.M. Program in Real Property Development offers students an opportunity to earn both degrees in seven semesters. Students begin to take graduate level real estate courses during their third year, with 12 LL.M. credit hours counting toward both degrees. The Joint J.D./LL.M. option is available to students from the University of Miami School of Law who have earned a minimum GPA of 2.80.
Students who are enrolled at other law schools and wish to apply to the joint J.D./LL.M. Program must have earned a minimum GPA of 3.00. They must also submit a letter from their home school dean confirming that our program credits will be accepted for transfer toward their J.D. degree.
Students seeking admission to the joint degree program should apply no later than the end of the spring semester of their second year of law school. Students may apply earlier than the spring semester of their second year, with acceptance being conditioned upon GPA and other requirements being satisfied.
- Basic Condominium, Cooperative and Planned Unit Development (2 credits)
- Basic Real Estate Tax (2 credits)
- Commercial Real Estate Leasing (2 credits)
- Environmental Regulation of Real Property (1 credit)
- Financial Analysis of Real Estate Transactions (1 credit)
- Introduction to Real Estate Development (2 credits)
- Land Security and Finance (2 credits)
- Mortgage Law (2 credits)
- Planning and Zoning (2 credits)
- Real Estate Documents Workshop (2 credits)
- Real Estate Project Development Workshop (2 credits)
Students have to complete at least 4 credit hours from among the following electives:
- Advanced Condominium, Cooperative and Planned Unit Development (2 credits)
- Construction Law (3 credits)
- Current Real Estate Finance Issues (1 credit)
- Distressed Property Workouts (2 credits)
- Drafting, Design and Construction Documents (1 credit)
- Housing Law and Policy (1 credit)
- Internship (1 credit)
- Law of Green Buildings (1 credit)
- Negotiation Skills (1 credit)
- Public-Private Real Estate Initiatives (1 credit)
- Real Estate Transactions Workshop (2 credits)
- Real Property and Government (2 credits)
- Securitization of Real Estate (1 credit)
- Takings law and Legislation (1 credit)
- Title Insurance (1 credit)
- Wetlands (1 credit)
Note: Elective courses are not offered every semester.
Triple Degree J.D./LL.M./M.B.A.
This new program offers a combination of legal and business degrees to students who were undergraduate business majors. These credentials are ideal for anyone with a long-term goal of servicing top corporate clients or becoming a senior executive in the real estate/real property arena. They also serve as significant assets in today's competitive marketplace to any attorney starting out in real estate law.
Application Specifics for 2Ls: Timing
In this unique program students can obtain three degrees in four years – a J.D., an M.B.A. and an LL.M. Students are essentially able to complete both the LL.M. and J.D. degrees in seven semesters and can complete an M.B.A. degree with only an additional two semesters or fewer, if summer school courses are taken.
- Once J.D students begin their 2L year of law school, they can apply to the specific LL.M. program in Real Property Development by the end of spring semester after having completed specific prerequisites.
- During the 2L year, students should also apply to the one-year MBA program by the Early Decision deadline of June 1st to be considered for any financial aid/scholarship options available at the School of Business Administration. (Note: There are additional deadline date options for the MBA program, allowing students to apply up until December 1st for a January [spring semester] start.)
- Students must have the results of their GMAT exam when they apply since only complete applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
For more information
J.D./LL.M./M.B.A. - Sandy Abraham
Executive Liaison, Interdisciplinary Programs and Initiatives
University of Miami School of Law
J.D./LL.M. in Real Property Development
Real Property Program Coordinator Connie Bowers
One-Year M.B.A. Program
University of Miami School of Business Administration
Graduate Business Programs
Telephone: 305-284-2510 or toll free 1-800-531-7137
Web: One-Year M.B.A. Program